Exchange your paper driving licence for a photocard licence

If you’ve still got your pre-1998 paper driving licence, you can exchange it for a photocard licence – but don’t feel forced to do so, as paper driving licence is still valid and won’t leave you having to replace it every 10 years.

Find out the essential information here, including how to change to a photocard licence and if you can drive while the exchange is taking place.

Driving license photocard

You must get a new licence if:

  • You change your address
  • Your licence has been defaced, lost, stolen or destroyed
  • You change your name
  • You’re getting a Driver Certificate of Professional Competence driver qualification card.

If none of the above apply to you, then your paper licence is still valid and you won’t need to exchange it for a photocard version.

Even if my paper licence is still valid, can I exchange it for a photocard licence anyway?

If your paper driving licence is still valid, then you can exchange it for a photocard licence if you want – Just follow the application process below.

Find out all the essential information you need to change your address on your driving licence here

How can I apply for a photocard licence?

You can apply online using your Government Gateway ID here – or register if you do not have an account.

If you’re applying online, according to the DVLA you’ll need to:

  • Have your driving licence
  • Be a resident of Great Britain
  • Meet the minimum eyesight requirement
  • Not be prevented from driving for any reason
  • Pay £20 by Visa, Electron, Maestro, MasterCard or Delta debit or credit card
  • Have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
  • Have your National Insurance number
  • Provide addresses of where you have lived for the last three years

You can also apply in person or by post.

You’ll need to complete a D1 form, which you can obtain from the DVLA form ordering service or from a Post Office.

You’ll also need to include:

  • Original identity documents
  • A colour passport-type photograph
  • The fee of £20 if you’re applying by post make cheques or postal orders payable to DVLA – do not send cash)

Send all your documents to




What are the categories on my driving licence? What you can (and can’t) drive on a standard UK driving licence

Can I drive before I get my new licence?

If you meet all the following conditions according to the DVLA, you can drive while your licence is being exchanged:

  • You have a valid licence
  • You have the support of your doctor to continue driving
  • You can only drive under the conditions of the previous licence
  • Your application is less than one year old
  • Your last licence was not revoked or refused for medical conditions
  • You’re not currently disqualified
  • You were not disqualified as a high-risk offender on or after June 1, 2013

Post navigation

4 comments for “Exchange your paper driving licence for a photocard licence

  1. Andrew Simpson says:

    Received formD801A but filled it out wrongly.How can I get a replacement form

  2. Way says:

    How much to order a photo licence I only had paper one I lost so how much to order a photo one without handing paper one back ki

  3. Stephen H Clarke says:

    Am looking only to get the photocard on the licence as need a valid ID to enable me to join the Job Centre. I still have the old paper licence but no longer drive or wish to drive and also no longer have a car. This is only needed for ID purposes. Can you please advise?

    Thank you

    Mr Stephen Clarke

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *