Travel Safety Tips: UK Driving Licence Categories

What are the categories and codes on my driving licence? What you can (and can’t) drive on a standard UK driving licence

Safe and legal driving goes far beyond the highway code. Ever wondered about the different categories on the back of your UK driving licence? What do they mean? Why do we have them? Do they indicate any driving restrictions? For something so familiar that many of us carry around day-to-day, it’s surprising to realise that we don’t really know much about them. This is why we’ve compiled a list of all those confusing driving licence categories and codes, so you can see what you can and can’t drive once you’ve passed your driving test, as well as which ones you’ll need to take an additional test for.

Why is it important to check my driving licence?

Around 75% of adults in the UK hold a driving licence. That’s a lot of people on the road! With commuting, road trips and long distance journeys becoming more frequent, it’s crucial to keep track of the validity, condition and personal information on your licence.

If you’re going on a big drive or crossing borders for a holiday, it’s even more important – because it’s likely that your licence will be checked.

Want to discover more about driving licence codes and categories? We’ve got you covered.

What do the driving licence categories mean?

Find out about the different types of driving licence categories, and see what you’re currently entitled to drive with your standard UK driving licence.

What do the categories on your driving licence mean?

CatergoryTypeAdditional driving testRestrictions
A1MotorbikesYesUp to 125cc or 11kW
A2MotorbikesYesUp to 35kW
AM2 or 3 wheeled motorsYesMax speed 15.5-28mph
BCarsNoMax 8 passenger seats
B autoAutomatic carsNoN/A
B+ECat B + trailerNoUp to 3,500kg
B1Light vehiclesNoUp to 550kg with goods
CLarge lorriesYesMax trailer 750kg
C+ECat C + trailerYesN/A
C1LorriesYesUp to 7,500kg + 750kg trailer
C1+ECat C1 + trailerYesMax combined weight 12,000kg
DBusYesTrailer up to 750kg
D+ECat D + trailerYesN/A
D1MinibusYesLength max 8m, trailer max 750kg
D1+ECat D1 + trailerYesN/A
GRoad rollerYesN/A
HTracked vehiclesYesN/A
KPedestrian vehiclesNoSelf-propelled
P2 wheeled vehiclesNoMax Speed 28 – 31mph
Q2 wheeled motorsNoMax speed 15.5mph

Standard UK driving licence categories

Category AM

This classification means you can drive two- or three-wheeled motors with a maximum design speed between 15.5mph and 28mph. But, you’ll need to pass a compulsory basic training test (CBT) as well.

This classification also includes quad bikes that have a maximum design speed of between 15.5mph and 28mph, weighing no more than 350kg (doesn’t include batteries on electric vehicles).

Category B

To drive any car, Category B is the classification you’ll need; you can drive vehicles up to 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass, with up to eight passenger seats.

If you’re over 21, Category B also means you can drive motor tricycles that have a power output higher than 15kW; you also get provisional entitlement to ride category motor tricycles that meet Cat A1 or A requirements (and if you’re physically disabled).

Category F

If your licence has category F on it – all standard ones do – you can drive an agricultural tractor. That’s right, you can hop behind the wheel of a tractor with no restrictions!

Category K

TThis driving licence category means you can get behind the wheel of a pedestrian-controlled vehicle; in other words, any self-propelled device you walk behind to control. For example, a mowing machine.

Category Q

With category Q, you can drive a two-wheeled vehicle with an engine size of no more than 50cc,and have a maximum design speed of no more than 15.5mph.

Driving licence categories you might have

Category B1

If you spot the driving licence category B1, you can drive motor vehicles with four wheels up to 400kg unladen or 550kg if they are designed for carrying goods – this is more common on older driving licences.

Category B+E

If you passed your test before January 1, 1997, you’ll be able to drive a vehicle with a trailer over the usual combined limit of 3,500kg- up to 8,250kg. If you passed your test after this date, you’ll have to take an additional test to tow weights over 3,500kg.

Category B auto

Used instead of a Category B licence, this means you are limited to driving automatic cars only and are not allowed to drive a manual car.

Category P

This is an old category that still lingers on some people’s licences. It refers to two-wheeled vehicles with a maximum design speed of no more than 31mph and an engine size lower than 50cc. On recent licences, this category is merged with Category AM.

Driving licence categories you need to complete an additional test for

Category A

With a catgory A, you can drive motorbikes with a power output more than 35kW or a power to weight ratio more than 0.2kW/kg.

Category A1
With a category A1, you can drive light motorbikes with an engine size up to 125cc, a power output of up to 11kW and a power to weight ratio not more than 0.1kW/kg. This category also includes motor tricycles with power output up to 15kW.

Category AM

This driving licence category means you can drive two or three wheeled motors with a maximum design speed between 15.5mph and 28mph. But, you’ll need to pass a compulsory basic training test (CBT) as well.

This classification also includes quad bikes that have a maximum design speed of between 15.5mph and 28mph, weighing no more than 350kg (doesn’t include batteries on electric vehicles).

Category C1

After passing the appropriate test, you’ll be entitled to drive vehicles weighing between 3,500kg and 7,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C1+E

This driving licence category gives you trailer entitlement to Category C1, meaning you can tow a trailer weighing over 750kg. The catch? The combined weight of both the vehicle and the trailer cannot exceed 12,00kg and the trailer cannot weigh more than the towing vehicle either.

Category C

To get this driving licence category, you’ll need to complete atest to drive vehicles weighing more than 3,500kg (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category C+E

Category C+E gives you trailer entitlement to Category C, meaning you can tow a trailer weighing over 750kg.

Category D1

With the D1 driving licence category, you can drive a minibus with no more than 16 passenger seats and a maximum length of 8 metres, once you’ve passed the relevant test. You’ll also be able to tow a trailer up to a maximum weight of 750kg.

Category D1+E

With this classification you can drive D1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg – provided the combined weight of the trailer and vehicle do not exceed 12,000kg.

Category D

The Category D code means you can drive any bus with more than 8 passenger seats (with a trailer up to 750kg).

Category D+E

WCategory D+E lets you tow a trailer over 750kg on a Category D vehicle.

Category G

If you fancy it, the G driving licence category gives you entitlement to drive a road roller.

Category H

With Category H, you can drive tracked vehicles- and yes, this includes tanks.


You don’t need a driving licence for electric bikes, mobility scooters or powered wheelchairs.


Along with categories covering what vehicles you can drive, your driving licence codes add a wealth of other information about you – the holder. Here’s what you need to know.

Why are driving licence codes different to categories?

Driving licence categories dictate the types of vehicles that an individual can drive, whereas driving licence codes tell you what conditions actually apply.

How do I check my driving licence codes?

You can find the driving licence codes that relate to your licence by looking under section 12 on the reverse of your driving licence. Ignoring codes can result in big fines, so it’s essential to take note of any restrictions on your licence and comply.

What are the categories of a UK driving license?

The categories of a UK driving license include cars, motorcycles, buses, trucks, and tractors.

What is the code for a car category on a UK driving license?

The code for a car category on a UK driving license is B.

What is the code for a motorcycle category on a UK driving license?

The code for a motorcycle category on a UK driving license is A.

What is the code for a bus category on a UK driving license?

The code for a bus category on a UK driving license is D.

What is the code for a truck category on a UK driving license?

The code for a truck category on a UK driving license is C.

What is the code for a tractor category on a UK driving license?

The code for a tractor category on a UK driving license is F.

Can I drive a car with a motorcycle license in the UK?

No, a motorcycle license does not permit you to drive a car in the UK.

How do I add a new category to my UK driving license?

To add a new category to your UK driving license, you will need to pass the necessary tests and apply for a provisional license for that category.

How many categories can I have on my UK driving license?

You can have as many categories as you are eligible for on your UK driving license.

Are UK driving license categories valid in other countries?

Each country has their own driving license regulations and categories, UK driving license categories may not be valid in other countries and vice versa. It’s best to check with the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to drive in.

Here are some of the common driving licence codes you could find listed under section 12.

Code: 01

This means you need eyesight correction when driving andyou’ll need to wear glasses or contact lenses when driving – by law. Failure to do so could result in a fine and penalty points. You’lll also need to report any changes to your vision or any corrective surgery.

Code: 02

The 02 driving licence code means that a hearing or communication aid must be worn when behind the wheel. As with eyesight, you must tell the DVLA about any changes to your hearing.

Code: 106

106 – restricted to vehicles with automatic transmissions

Code: 115

Not a restriction per-se, but this driving licence code lets authorities know that the holder of the licence is an organ donor.

Click here for a full list of driving licence codes and what they mean.

Safe driving tips

For any journey, safe and legal driving should be the priority. Having a handle on what your driving licence means is a good way to ensure that you’re clued up on the road.

If you’re driving abroad make sure that you know the rules for the country you’re in, such as sign posting, speed limits, directions and general driving laws.

The most valuable safe driving tip is to plan ahead for every journey. Driving conditions change with seasons, and roadworks or road closures are almost guaranteed to delay you at some point. So, schedule in some rest breaks, take your time and don’t get distracted while driving. Got a plane to catch? Get there on time by booking parking in advance.

Your driving licence is your ticket to freedom – so, know it well, use it right and enjoy the drive!

Post navigation

67 comments for “Travel Safety Tips: UK Driving Licence Categories

  1. David says:

    I just exchanged my UAE motorcycle licence for a UK CAT A motorcycle licence. To do this, you have to send a COE from the UAE along with your UAE drivers licence. If you already have a UK CAT B Licence, it will not cost anything to exchange it for a new licence with CAT A added as long as it is in date and does not need to have address or picture changed.You still have to fill in the D1 form but you won’t need to send payment.

  2. Sue says:

    I still have a paper licence. I have a full driving licence valid till 2030, with a provisional A Category till the same date, am I limited to what size moped or motorbike I can ride. Many thanks.

  3. Rob says:

    Hi, I passed my full car test and full motorcycle test in the early 1980’s my new licence has (79)3 on category A. Has the Dvla made a mistake and removed my full unrestricted motorcycle entitlement or am I still licenced to ride my 1000cc motorcycle on the information given on my licenece.

  4. Shafeeq Ahmed says:

    Hello sir I have UAE motor cycle license when I exchange my mototrcycle license uae to uk which license I will get do I need theory test in uk for car license?

  5. Karen Sayers says:

    I passed my test in 1981 and have a C1 on my licence that expires 27.02.31. We are looking at buying a motor home, does this mean I am legal to drive it on my licence as some say I need to pass a test first.

    • APH Parking says:

      Yes, you are legal to drive a motor home on your current driving licence. The C1 category on your licence allows you to drive vehicles with a maximum permissible weight of up to 7.5 tonnes, and motor homes typically fall within this weight limit.

      However, some motor homes are classified as “category D1 vehicles”, meaning they have a maximum seating capacity of more than 8 people (including the driver). If you want to drive a category D1 motor home, you will need to pass the D1 driving test.

      The D1 driving test is similar to the C1 driving test, but it includes additional elements that are specific to driving larger vehicles. For example, you will be tested on your ability to reverse a vehicle around a corner and to park a vehicle in a tight space.

      If you are unsure whether the motor home you are looking at buying is classified as a category D1 vehicle, you should check with the manufacturer or your local driving authority. For up-to-date info read &

  6. Mike says:

    Hi am age 66 and sent my renewal in for CE passed my medical ok now DVLA won’t. Me to have a tred mill test I have told them that I no longer require my class 1 CE entitlement,I had C1 grandfather rights and the DVLA have taken this right of my license as well as CE have spoken to them and they say to get my C1 entitlement back I have to have a medical and tred mill test,
    I had a heart attack in 2017 I had a stent done and have had no problems since are they correct

    • J Chris says:

      I understand your frustration. It sounds like you’re in a bit of a pickle.

      DVLA are responsible for issuing driving licenses in the UK. They have a set of rules that drivers must follow, and these rules are designed to keep everyone safe on the roads.

      It sounds like you’ve been through a lot in recent years, and I’m glad to hear that you’re doing well. But the DVLA need to be sure that you’re fit to drive before they can issue you with a license.

      I would suggest that you speak to your doctor about your situation. They will be able to advise you on what you need to do to get your C1 entitlement back.

      I know this is a difficult time for you, but please try to stay positive. I’m sure you’ll be back on the road in no time.

      Best of luck,

  7. Terry Toye says:

    Hi, I have held a UK license group A from 1965 and Group B from 1972.
    I’m now 75 and am not sure if I’m now restricted to a max weight of 3,500kg or the original 8,250kg.
    When I renewed the license at 70 something was said about additional checks if I wanted to retain something to do with my license.
    Could it be that it was this 8,250 reduced to 3,500 kg restriction.
    Thanks for any advice.

    • Alistair Gilbert says:

      I had to give mine up at 70 and also my class one.
      If you wish to keep the what was the 7.5t entitlement you now need to do an hgv medical.Every time you renew at 3 yrs.
      Yes you fall back to the 3.5 tonne limit.

  8. Mo says:

    Hi i have on my license
    AM -01 ( passed 2020)
    A – 79 (3)01know that one,(2013)
    B1 01 1997
    B 01 1997
    what is fkinpq ?
    Can i only drive a moped upto 50cc or upto 125cc? Bit confused?

  9. Bob Bowditch says:

    I passed my driving test in 1972, my paper license shows
    A,E***************** does this mean I can ride an automatic scooter like a Bergman 400 or a BMW 650 ?

    • alistair gilbert says:

      As far as I understand it cat A was a car licence and E is a moped licence under the old categories.
      Cat D was the motorcycle category?? Have you ever passed a bike test?
      If the answer is no then you cannot ride a motorcycle of any description/size except for a moped.
      You will not have to take a CBT .
      Your licence will run out at 70 so you will need to get it changed to a photo licence. It should be free.
      If in doubt contact DVLA.

  10. Paul says:

    With a category A then column 10 – 07.04.89 column 10 – 07.04.41 column 12 – 79(tri) what does all this mean?

    • alistair gilbert says:

      This is now given along with the cat B car licence. It is NOT a motorcycle licence. It allows car drivers in the UK to ride or drive a trike of any size if you are over 21

  11. jeff melville says:

    I have A 79(3) licence entitlement, what engine size trycycle can i ride and do i have to take a cbt test…thanks

    • alistair gilbert says:

      I assume you have a cat B car licence? If you are over 21 then you can have anything you want..
      No you do not have to take a CBT as your car licence covers 3 wheelers.

  12. Trudi says:

    Hi There seems to be some conflicting information on here and I am confused.
    I have a photo license with amongst others, I have bike categories AM & A with restriction 79.(3) .
    Some people are saying I can drive any size motorbike and then others say I can only drive up to 125cc and must have L plates. What can I drive please? I took my test in 1988 so I guess I have some “grandfather” right’s.

    • alistair gilbert says:

      You do NOT have a motorcycle licence. The AM is a moped licence, The A with code 79 (3) means you can also drive or ride any 3 wheeler..
      In 2013 the EU put all trikes in the motorcycle category for anyone passing a test after that. This meant that the old grandfather rights of having a 3 wheeler on a bike or car licence no longer applied.
      In 2014 the UK obtained a derogation to again allow car licence holders who passed their test after 2013.
      In the usual complicated way they have given you a restricted A licence to allow this but you cannot ride anything over 125cc until you pass a bike test.
      So you can have any motorcycle type trike or reliant type 3 wheeler.
      You can also ride the Piaggio type MP3 tilting 3 wheeled scooter BUT you need to make sure it is registered as a 3 wheeled vehicle as early ones do not conform to trike regs and are classified as 2 wheels or bicycle on the v5.

      • Adelin Ramoiu says:

        So I passed my category B in 2012 and I did my cbt as well last year 2021
        I am driving a 125 Yamaha Nmax.
        I have category A 79(3).
        However, I still need a cbt?
        And can I drive on the motorway?

        I am asking as my understanding from what you said is that if I have a category A 79(3) on my driving licence I can drive up to 125 without ctb or applies only to 3wheels?
        Thank you

        • alistair gilbert says:

          Forget the A79(3). This does not in any way relate to motorcycles. You have a cat B car licence. Part of getting the car licence is that you also get the A79(3). This legally allows you to drive a trike hence the (3) restriction.
          If you want to ride a motorcycle your car licence acts as a provisional so that would be up to 125cc with a cbt valid for 2 years as per normal bike rules.
          You must display L plates and cannot carry a passenger. You cannot use a motorway.
          If you are over 21 you can ride or drive any trike eg Reliant, motor cycle trikes or the Piaggio MPr tilting 3 wheeler of ANY size. This must be the LT version as not all are classified as trikes.
          If you want to ride a motorcycle you revert back to the normal motorcycle rules!!
          So to recap if you have a79(3) this is part of your car licence that allows you to have a trike NOTHING ELSE!!

        • alistair gilbert says:

          The a79(3) is part of your B car licence. It does not mean you can ride a bike it just allows you to ride or drive a trike. If you don’t have a bike A licence then it’s a 125 with L plates and no passengers or driving on a motorway.You also need the CBT as normal.

      • David Camilli says:

        You said he cannot ride anything over 125cc until he passed a bike test , can he ride a 125 cc? ex I Have a B category since 2001 and have an A category with 79 (03) code since 2013, can I ride a 125cc without cbt test? It’s my understanding that I still need a valid cbt test, correct?

        • APH Parking says:

          You are correct. You still need a valid CBT test to ride a 125cc motorcycle. Your A category license with code 79(03) only allows you to ride a motorcycle with a power output of more than 35kW. A 125cc motorcycle has a power output of less than 11kW, so you need a CBT to ride one.

          If you have a full car license, you can ride a moped without a CBT. However, you cannot ride a motorcycle without a CBT, even if you have a full car license.

          A CBT is a compulsory basic training course that teaches you the basics of riding a motorcycle. It takes one day to complete and costs around £100. You can find more up-to-date information about CBT courses on the government website.

  13. Marcus says:

    I have had a full UK driving license,
    Since I was 17 years old and I have entitlement’s
    AM, A 79(3) B1, B, C1, D1, BE, C1E, D1E, fklnpq
    And I have just taken another CBT and I have the certificate. I plan to to get a full motorbike license.
    I have a nice car and I’ve just brought a new motorbike
    I do use my bike all year summer and winter but I really think that they are a summer time machine When you can have fun on the windy back roads.

  14. Nick says:

    Hey, I haven’t been on a bike since I was 22-23, I am now 37. I’m a little confused by the licence and what steps I need to take to get back on the road. I have a full car licence.

    I am diabetic, this is why I have a short ‘valid to’ date.

    The back of my licence shows as follows:

    AM 2015 – 2022. Restriction codes: 01,122
    A1 (Blank)
    A2 (Blank)
    A 2013 – 2022. Restriction code: 79(3), 01.

    From what I can pick up, I think I have a licence to ride any bike without ‘L’ plates, is this correct?

    I just don’t want to find myself in a situation where, through misinterpretation, I end up on the road illegally.

    Thank you in advance for any help.

    • alistair gilbert says:

      If you are referring to the A licence with code 79(3) then the answer is NO!! The code refers to the fact you can also drive or ride a trike hence the 3 in brackets.
      In 2013 the EU put trikes in the motorcycle category and this meant that any new car drivers after that date could no longer have a trike. This was changed in 2014 by a UK derogation which again allowed car drivers to have a trike BUT this only applies to the UK. You cannot go off to France in your Reliant lol
      To sum up it’s the usual DVLA double dutch way for a trike licence added to your car licence.

    • Marcus says:

      You can ride a 50cc without L-plates, but your need to get a CBT if you want to ride anything bigger like a 125cc and your have to put L-plates on it. I hope this helps

      • alistair gilbert says:

        Just to add you only need to take the CBT once if you have a obtained a B car licence in the last few years and want a 50cc moped.
        This automatically converts the AM on your licence to a full moped licence and you don’t need L plates and can carry a passenger if your moped allows it.
        The idea is to make sure car drivers have some basic training before venturing out on 2 wheels.
        The CBT is NOT a test it’s a training course. You would have to be pretty bad to fail it and if coming from a car you should have a decent knowledge of road rules you just need some sense of 2 wheels as it is different to a car and,for your own safety, you need to realise the dangerous situation relating to bikes.

    • Turtle says:

      In other words no you only have a provisional bike licence on an A,But if you passed your car licence on or before a certain date and year you can ride a trike i THINK any size engine.

  15. Calin says:

    Hi there, just for my peace of mind!
    With a standard Uk driving licence having the Q category on it can i ride a 2 wheeled vehicle up to 50 cc or 1kw if its electric, without pedals, with a maximum speed of 25km/h (L1e low povered moped) without the CBT?

    • alistair gilbert says:

      The law says “motor Vehicle” in the description so yes you can but as it is classed as a motor vehicle I would assume you would need registration and insurance etc as normal??
      I think this is an old classification to cover the continental style regs or motorised bicycles back in the day.
      I do not know of any vehicle apart from maybe some sort of delivery or agricultural vehicle that complies with this category?.
      Basically if it has an engine it has to be registered and taxed/insured as normal.
      Electric bicycles have to be restricted to 250w and be pedal assisted with a max speed of 15.5 mph to ride without a licence. Anything over that power or speed becomes a motor vehicle and would be illegal without the usual paperwork/licence..
      In other words no throttle and the assistance only comes in when pedalling.
      If you have a car licence all you need to do is take the CBT and this automatically adds the full AM (moped) category to the car licence as it used to be. The govt just want car drivers to have a bit of training on 2 wheels first.
      No driving test is required and you can then ride with no L plates and take a passenger as well on any moped.

  16. Tim says:

    I have a full driving licence with a category ‘A’ motorcycle entitlement with code 78, which means I can ride any sized motorcycle so long as it’s automatic. My confusion is whether I can ride the new Honda type Dual Clutch Technology (DCT) bikes which have automatic twist and go function and also an option for electronic push paddle gear change. Can I ride these type of bikes with my licence?


    • Alistair Gilbert says:

      Yes you can. It’s the same with automatic cars. EG the smart has a 6 speed gearbox but no clutch as it changes automatically.
      This is the key anything with a clutch is manual change therefore no clutch is automatic regardless of how that automatic functions.
      Bike examples would be the Honda DCT or the Aprilia Mana and the older Hondamatics usually CB400A.
      Any automatic scooter is also eligible as some of the larger ones have the option of gearchanging on the bars via buttons.
      The powers that be decided it was dangerous to switch from an automatic to a manual as it needed different skills to change gear and may go out of control.

      • Tim says:

        Hi Alistair
        Thank you – that’s extremely helpful. I recall that the Suzuki Burgman 650 scooter has a pseudo electronic push button gear change, so another to add to the list.

        • Alistair Gilbert says:

          Slightly off topic but there is also the obscure CF Moto 250 v3 or v5 which used the honda CN250 helix engine and don’t forget the Piaggio MP3 LT versions if you have a car or bike licence. Not many automatic bikes but plenty of scooters.

  17. jon says:

    how can I get a b1 licence?

    • Ben says:

      You can’t. Since 19 January 2013 due to harmonisation regulations across the EU and EEA which includes Norway and Switzerland, the B1 category licence being UK regulation only was removed as a test you could take. Under the new regulations, in order to drive a B1 vehicle you need either an A, B, B1 on your licence, as European law considers all quadricycles as motorcycles (L class) under 168/2013 EU. The EU allows Uk to keep existing regulations as long as it is not in conflict with EU regulations.

  18. Woody says:

    What class do I need for a campervan.

    • Alistair Gilbert says:

      Just an ordinary car licence. This covers anything up to 3.5 tonnes BUT that also includes anything you may tow.
      It has to be the TOTAL weight of your vehicle and trailer.
      If you passed your car test years ago then you may have the 7.5 tonne entitlement if you wanted to drive a heavier vehicle.(grandfather rights)
      At aged 70 if you want to continue driving anything over 3.5 tonne you need to take an LGV medical and pay for it every three years along with your licence renewal which is also every 3 years.

      • Kevin says:

        Hi, I passed my test in 1975 my licence gives me class C1 til 2028 does this mean I can drive a 7-5 ton lorry without taking a test on grandads rights.?

  19. Pitham says:

    Ok not to sure
    I have A so it says if i pass my motorcycle test i can ride motorcycles

    What size motorcycles can i ride and what size do i have to take my test on im 55 so its grandfather rights i guess

    • Peter Mills says:

      Hi there, I have A category on my licence for motor bikes but it has the code 79(3) after it. What does this mean?


    • Alistair Gilbert says:

      You have full motorcycle entitlement so can ride any size bike.
      I would however advise you to take a CBT anyway and get some practice on a smaller capacity bike or scooter before you get anything larger if you haven’t been on a bike for some years.

    • Peter says:

      I passed my motorbike test in 1979 and I have an, A on my licence and if you look at the categories above there’s No restriction so I believe you can ride any size Cc, motorbike the same as I’m able too.

      Hope this helps and safe riding

  20. Danny says:

    I passed my Motorcycle test in 1990 and have a B1 code on my license and I have been told that as I passed my full bike test before February 2001 that I will not have to take the theory test to obtain a full car license. Could someone clarify this for me.

    • Terry Hollingsworth says:

      You have to take the theory test for each test you want to take.

    • Pete says:

      If you haven’t passed or taken a car test why would you be aloud to drive a car, I would of thought its two different vehicles and I would of thought two test theory included

  21. geo c says:

    i got a full UK licence in 83 and have cats B BE C1 C1E 107 D1 101 D1E 101.119 fklnp. can i drive a large modified bus/coach (not for carrying passengers) to live in, example the old london routemaster kitted out as a home. cant seem to find anything related to this. thanks

    • Max says:

      Yes I’m sure you can. I recall an article in the Used Car Buyer magazine where they featured buying a Routemaster as an alternative when Ken was offloading them from London Transport service. As I recall, the magazine did state that you can drive such a bus using a normal licence as long as it is not used for public service, so for you to rip out the seats, kit it out to live in and use as a holiday home, I would see absolutely no problem with that on an ’83 licence.

    • Ian says:

      Yes you can, but I have heard that it has to be 30 years old or older.

  22. Shah Din says:

    hi..i have Driving Licence 19 years- B and CE, From Dubai United Arab Emirates ..
    now i am Residents of the UK Can i have Same Categories Licence of the UK without Test.

  23. Adam says:

    What do I have to do to get a category D1

    • Mark Rhodes says:

      D1 is the Minibus test. So get your DVLA Medical sorted, complete the Hazard Perception and Theory tests for D1 and then find a training provider thats offeres Mini bus Training.

      • Max says:

        or go back in time and take your test then. Older licences automatically had the D1 category included, alas!

  24. d eddleston says:

    i past my test in 1956 can i drive a 7.5 ton wagon do i need a cpc and a medical my age now is 78 thanks

    • A.Gilbert says:

      If driving for hire and reward( in other words as a job carrying goods) you will need both.
      If wanting to occasionally hire a van for personal use eg moving house or a large camper motorhome up to 7.5 tonnes you don’t need the cpc but you will need a medical as you are over 70.
      Basically after 70 you revert back to 3.5 tonnes unless you take a medical.
      I gave up the class 1 and 7.5 tonne entitlement.

  25. Lynne stowe says:

    Can I tow a caravan with my licence as it is with code B1 and B please

  26. B.J. Madden says:

    I passed my motorcycle driving test around June/July 1960. (any size engine)On my new type photo licence it says I am entitled to drive/ride groups:—- AM—A—B1–B—BE—& f.k.i.n.p.q. My question is
    can I ride a large motorcycle 1200cc ? It looks as though I cannot.But I passed my test many years ago !

  27. John H says:

    I passed my bus test in a single decker in1983 in a semi-automatic working for the local council, on my licence relating to bus….. D1,, D,, D1E and DE are on….
    Could I now drive a manual bus without taking another test…. I have been told that I can

  28. James Albon says:

    Hi. I’ve got category AM and category A with a date on it. Can I ride a motorbike without taking any more tests. Thanks

    • james loughery says:

      As far as i can see you will still need to do a CBT basic bike test and if the bike goes over 28mph a full bike test must also be passed.. I myself do not have the full bike test passed and have similar as to which your question states .. Hope this helps ..

    • Phil says:

      If your -A- entitlement is in date you can ride whatever bike you wish.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *