DVLA Driving licence changes – all you need to know

Find everything from how to change your address with the DVLA to checking your penalty points and renewing your photo – we’ve got all the driving licence information you need here.

Name and address
From new home to just wed – how to change your details
How to renew
Find out how to renew your licence and what it’ll cost
How much to buy
Find out the current cost of a new driving licence right here
How to hire a car
How to get your hire car code before you fly
Changes explained
There have been big changes to your licence – details here
Want your flag?
Should our individual national flags be displayed 

LATEST NEWS: Drivers could have a smartphone-based driving licence by 2018.


Driving licence costs revealed

Here we explain the various costs involved when buying, renewing or maintaining a UK driving licence.

Get your first Great British driving licence

Type of licence Apply online Apply by post
First provisional licence – car, motorcycle, moped £34 £43
First full driving licence after passing your driving test N/A Free – £17 to use a different photo from your provisional
First full GB licence in exchange for a full European Community, European Economic Area or other designated foreign licence N/A £43

Change the name, address or photo on your photocard driving licence

The fee you pay can be reduced if you use online services.

What you’re changing Change online Change by post
Address Free Free
Name N/A Free
Photo £14 £17
Photo and name at the same time N/A £17
Photo and address at the same time £14 £17

Renew your driving licence

Photocard licences are valid for 10 years unless otherwise stated on the document. You will receive a reminder to renew your photo before your current one expires. Again, look for discounts by using online services.

Reason for renewal Apply online Apply by post
Renewing an expired driving licence £14 £17
You’re 70 or over Free Free
For medical reasons N/A Free

It’s can also possible to renew your expired licence at a Post Office, it costs £21.50.

Add, renew or remove a driving entitlement

Reason for change Apply online Apply by post
Adding entitlement to full or provisional licence – for example, to drive a bus or lorry N/A Free
Renew entitlement to drive a bus or lorry N/A Free
Giving up entitlement to drive bus or lorry N/A Free

Exchange a paper or non-GB driving licence

What you’re exchanging Apply online Apply by post
Paper licence for photocard with change of address Free Free
Paper licence for photocard with change of name N/A Free
Paper licence for photocard with no change of details £20 £20
Full Northern Ireland licence in exchange for a GB licence N/A Free
Full European Community, European Economic Area or other designated foreign licence, if a previous GB licence held N/A Free
Full European Community, European Economic Area or other designated foreign licence, if a previous GB licence not held N/A £43

Get a revoked licence back 

The fee depends on why your your licence was taken away and how you got it back.

How you got your licence back Apply online Apply by post
You were disqualified for drink driving and you need to pass a medical exam with a DVLA doctor N/A £90
You were disqualified for drink driving and you don’t need to pass a medical exam N/A £65
You’ve got your licence back after it was revoked under the New Drivers Act N/A £50
You’ve got your licence back after it was revoked for not handing it over to DVLA or at court N/A Free

DVLA Driving licence details: How to stay legal

Your driving licence can get you in plenty of trouble, so take our check-up to help dodge painful fines…

Incorrect address: How to change it

Incorrect address: Are you one of the 2.6million drivers who haven’t updated their licence with a current address – and risking a £1000 fine? Simply change the address now.
Change address here
How much: Free

Wrong name: Just married - or divorced

Wrong name: Changing your name on your licence is simple – and it’s free. You’ll need to complete a D1form – which you can get from the Post Office or by ordering it here. You’ll need to send supporting information such as a marriage certificate, decree absolute or Deed Poll certificate. All documentation must be original. You’ll also need to send your photocard and counterpart (if before June 8, 2015), or your old-style paper licence.
How much: Free

Medical change: Tell the DVLA now

Medical change: If you’ve suffered a medical problem that could affect your driving, you are required to inform the DVLA. It will then decide if any changes need to be made to your driving licence. These range from giving a shorter licence of 1, 2 or 3 years, telling you to adapt your car or even stop driving.
Find out about your medical condition and how it might affect your licence: Contact the DVLA here
How much: Free

Out of date photo: Change it or pay the fine

Out-of-date photo: Around 40,000 drivers are currently at risk of a fine for failing to update the photo on their photocard licence. Updates needs to be done every 10 years and while a reminder is sent out, many people claim the correspondence is confusing. So, check the valid from date on your licence then add 10 years – this is when you need to renew your photo.

How to change you photocard photo:

By post: Get yourself a D1 form from the Post Office or call the DVLA to order one on 0300 790 6801
How much: £17.00

At the Post Office: Take your renewal letter or completed D1 form along to the Post Office – not forgetting a passport style photograph, too.
How much: £24.50

Online: To use this service you will need a valid passport – because this is the photograph that will be used on the licence. Click below to get full details.
Change your licence photo online: Do it here
How much: £14.00

Expired licence: Here's how to renew or exchange... and how much

Expired licence: Around 2million Brits have an expired licence, according to research from Direct Line – equating to around £2billion in potential fines. Reasons for this could be anything from age to the type of vehicle being driven, so make sure you know when yours need renewing. Here are some costs involved: (These prices are set to fall from 0ctober 31, so will be updated then.)

Reason for renewingFee
Renewing an expired driving licence£17.00 by post or £14.00 online
From age 70 hereFree
For medical reasonsFree
Bus or lorry driversFree
After disqualification£65.00
If disqualified for some drink-driving offences where the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) needs to arrange medical enquiries£90.00
After revocation (under the New Drivers Act)£50.00

Reason for exchangeFee
Add entitlement to full or provisional licenceFree
Paper licence to photocard with change of details (eg, name or address)Free
Removal of expired endorsements£17.00 by post or £14.00 online
Full Northern Ireland licence to a GB licenceFree
Full European Community, European Economic Area or other designated foreign licence, if a previous GB licence heldFree
Northern Ireland licence with a GB test passFree

Driving licence changes – we answer your questions

Obsolete from 08/06/15

Obsolete from 08/06/15

Here’s our at-a-glance guide to all you need to know about changes coming to your driving licence.

What is changing?

If you have a photocard licence, the paper counterpart that goes with it is being abolished from the middle of 2015. If you live in England, Scotland or Wales, you will also get the Union Flag displayed on it – alongside the EU standard – when you come to renew or apply for a new licence. However, those in Northern Ireland will not be included in the scheme.

When is this happening?

The changes take have been postponed from from the original start date of January 1, 2015 and will now come into effect on June 8, 2015.

Do I need to do anything?

Luckily, this does not require any direct action from you – providing your licence details are all up to date and correct.

I have an old-style pink or green paper licence – going?

No. These remain perfectly legal. When they run out you will get a new photocard, though, but until then there is no need to change. Keeping the old-style version will save you cash because you won’t have to update your photo every 10 years. If you do want to upgrade, though, this can be done for free if changing your address, name or adding an entitlement. Otherwise, with no change of details, it’ll cost you £17.00 by post or £14.00 for online renewals.

How can I see information about my licence now?

The paper counterpart of your driving licence can be used to tell you how many penalty points you have, when they expire, what classes of vehicles you can drive and when the licence itself will need replacing. While most of this info is also available on the photocard, the DVLA has launched the online ‘View Driving Record’ service, which lets you view all the information you need by entering your driving licence number, national insurance number and postcode.
View Driving Record: See your details here

What about employers or car hire firms who need to see this information, too?

Interested parties – such as employers and holiday hire car firms – will want to see the paper counterpart to check your driving history or entitlements, so to prepare for the abolition of the paper counterpart, the DVLA is developing a new online service to reveal real-time driving data to parties who have a genuine reason to see it. The information will only be provided with the knowledge of the licence holder.
Read our extended guide to ensuring you don’t have problems when collecting your holiday hire care here.

How can I change my address?

The paper counterpart allows you to change your address, so abolishing it will remove the ability to do this. Not a problem, use the DVLA’s online service to change your address details.
Change your address: Update your driving licence here 

Is that all?

Yep! It’s not a huge change, but remaining up to date with these changes will ensure you avoid any problems when hiring a car or checking your validity to drive other types of vehicles.
In fact, many motorists will find the change helpful by cutting the amount of documents they need to carry while travelling both in the UK and abroad.

Why won’t drivers in Nothern Ireland get the Union Flag on their licence?

A spokesperson for the DVA in Northern Ireland told the Belfast Telegraph: ‘In 2012 it was agreed that, recognising the particular sensitivities surrounding symbols in Northern Ireland, NI driving licences, which are produced for the Driver and Vehicle Agency in Swansea by the DVLA, should continue to be produced without the flag or crest.’


Changes to how you collect your holiday hire car

Use the guide below to secure an access code that will ensure you’re able to collect your hire car when you arrive at your holiday destination. Use the carousel or find a full guide beneath.

WARNING: Without this code, you could lose your hire car booking.

Are you planning to hire a car for your holiday this summer? Read on to ensure driving licence changes don’t leave you marooned at the airport hire desk without any wheels…

Read the full guide to getting your hire car code here

At-a-glance guide to hire car licence changes: All you need to know here

Driving licence changes coming into effect at the start of the holiday season could cause chaos for travellers picking up hire cars in foreign countries. Here’s our at-a-glance guide to all you need to know.

What has this got to do with my holiday hire car: The DVLA is axing the paper counterpart that currently accompanies your driving licence photocard. These will cease to have legal standing from June 8. While the DVLA says you should destroy your paper counterpart, we’d advise you keep it safe and pop it in your suitcase as a back-up just in case your holiday hire company hasn’t heard about the changes – just like a large portion of the British population.

But how does this affect collecting my holiday hire car: The paper counterpart contains information on penalty points and other traffic offences that hire companies want to check before letting you loose with their car. This will now be held on the DVLA’s database and need to checked online, by phone or post.

This switch to a fully digital system is likely to make it harder for hire firms to check your driving record – and some local overseas firms might not even know the change is coming.

So how will hire car companies check my record: From June 8, travellers will need to log on to the DVLA’s website the day before they fly, enter their driving licence and national insurance number to obtain an access code that’ll allow a car hire company to check their details via the internet when they arrive.

How long does the code last for: The code will be valid for 21 days, so anyone hiring a car more than three days into their holiday will need to logon and get a new code – potentially incurring hefty mobile data charges if they don’t have access to free Wi-Fi.

Is there any other way: Yes. If you have access to a computer you can download your driver ‘record’ on a PDF document, print it out and show it to the hire car company. However, some motoring organisations are concerned firms could be reluctant to accept this.

What if I forget to get an access code or to download a PDF: Arrive at the hire car desk without any of the above and the operator could be forced to ring the DVLA’s premium rate helpline, which costs up to £3 a minute. Guess who’ll be paying …

Do I need internet access to use the service: No, the DVLA spokesman assured us that the system will have an associated phone number for drivers to call and obtain a code.

I have the old-style paper licence – is that okay: Yes, old-style paper licences are still legal and providing they are up to date, should be accepted at the hire desk as proof of your driving record. However, if you need to update and details – such as address or endorsements – you will have it replaced with a new-style photocard (and not paper counterpart, of course).

How to get your code to share licence details with hire car companies

So can you quicky run this by me again: Yes – just do the following…

Online: Here’s how to get your code to share with hire firms before you leave for your holiday – this is currently a beta system that has had a ‘soft’ launch so you’ll be among the first to give it a once-over:

1. Logon to the DVLA website and load the ‘View your driving licence’ service here
2. Log in using your driving licence details and then once the new page loads with your details, click the ‘share your licence information’ tab on the right hand side of the navigation bar at the top of the page – see below.

licence section to generate a code for hire car companies

Click this tab once logged in to the view my licence section to generate a code for hire car companies

3. You will then be able to generate a code to share with hire car firms when you arrive at your holiday destination. Remember, it now lasts for 21 days and not 72 hours.

If you don’t have your driving licence number handy: Click here to log in using your personal details. Don’t lose this code.

You can also use the following methods to get you code…

Print: Logon to the DVLA site, as above, then download and print a copy of your record to give to the hire car company.

By post: If you don’t have internet access, you can write to the DVLA in advance of your trip and request a print-out of your licence record for the hire car company. Please allow plenty of time for this request to be processed.

Send the following information to the address below:

  • your full name and address
  • your driver licence number (or your date of birth if you don’t know your driver number)

Driver Licence Validation Service
SA99 1AJ

Don’t forget: Take your driving licence and National Insurance number with you – just in case you lose your access code or have a change of plans and decide to hire a car.

What the hire car industry says…

Many of those in the know have predicted chaos at foreign airports as holidaymakers attempt to collect their cars. It could be even worse with small local firms who haven’t even heard of the changes yet.

What the experts say: Avoid the hire car chaos

The British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association has issued this advice on what travellers should take on holiday to cover all eventualities…

Operators are taking a range of different approaches to the scheme, which include:

Asking customers to provide a print out of their licence information, available via the DVLA’s View Driving Licence service

Asking customers to provide a code allowing the rental company to view their licence information via the DVLA’s Share Driving Licence service

Asking customers to present their photo-card driving licence or the ‘old-style’ paper driving licence (issued up to 1998)

Asking customers to present their photo-card driving licence or ‘old-style’ paper driving licence together with a second form of ID, such as a passport

Asking customers to present their photo-card driving licence or the ‘old-style’ paper driving licence and sign a self-declaration confirming any endorsements

Driving abroad.. how powerful is your UK licence

See how powerful your GB licence is around the world

See how powerful your GB licence is around the world

Many countries demand extra documentation from visitors driving on their roads, but the UK licence remains one of the most powerful in the world – with holders given instant access to the highway in most areas. Open the box below to see if there are restrictions in the destination you’re heading for.

Driving abroad: Is the UK licence accepted plus quirky driving laws you need to know

Driving licence gets Union Flag – vote here and tell us your views

Union Flag on licences has proved controversial

Union Flag on licences has proved controversial

Anyone applying for a new driving licence, or renewing a current one will now fly the flag for Britain. The new document will display the Union Flag alongside the European Union standard.

The changes will apply to motorists in England, Scotland and Wales. However, drivers in Northern Ireland will not be included as licensing is a devolved matter there.

Transport Minister Claire Perry said: ‘Celebrating Britain strengthens our sense of national identity and our unity. I will feel proud to carry my new licence and I hope others will too.’

Are you proud to fly the flag? Tell us your thoughts using this poll…

 [socialpoll id=”2253592″]

MyLicence: Driving licence changes and insurance quotes – NEW

New MyLicence scheme revealed

New MyLicence scheme revealed

In another new driving licence-based initiative, the MyLicence scheme is designed to help drivers get cheaper insurance quotes and cut the risk of driving without cover by failing to provide correct information about endorsements.

Operated by the DVLA and Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB), the scheme shares digital information held on your driving licence with insurers, which will enable them to produce fast, accurate quotes and protect against unwittingly making false declarations regarding motoring convictions which could invalidate insurance cover.

This will prove useful for drivers who need to check for motoring convictions after the paper counterpart section of the licence is axed in June 2015 – leaving them with no locally held record of endorsements on their licence.

Here’s all the at-a-glance information you need

What is MyLicence: The new scheme explained

What is MyLicence: This is a scheme that allows insurance companies to check your licence for convictions and entitlements.

Is it compulsory: Do I really need to take part

Is it compulsory: No, but insurers can choose to not offer you a quote if you don’t provide your driving licence number. Price comparison sites are particularly unlikely to offer a service to those who withhold their number and ‘self-declare’.

What are the benefits of MyLicence: How it might help save time and cash

What are the benefits of MyLicence: The scheme will negate the need to endlessly enter huge amounts of personal details every time you apply for a quote. Participating insurers and price comparison websites will simply need to enter your driving licence number.

Could it save me from invalidated insurance: Stay legal

Could it save me from invalidated insurance: Yes. If you accidentally forget to mention a conviction or other restrictions on your licence, your insurance may not pay out in the event of an accident. The new scheme will provide all pertinent information straight to the insurer when you apply for a quote. Currently, nearly one in five policyholders under-declare the number of motoring convictions they have – some by accident, others maliciously in order to pay a lower premium.

Will it save me money, too: And how much

Will it save me money, too: Yes – it could well do. Research shows 7% of drivers over-declare their convictions and endorsements – meaning they pay too much. The MIB reckons honest drivers will save an average of £15 on their insurance policy. They’ll also pay a lot less in phone charges by swerving the long list of questions they’d otherwise have to answer.

Can named drivers join the scheme: Who else needs to give their number

Can named drivers join the scheme: Yes and this could save more money and protect you from invalidated policies, according to the MIB and DVLA.

What information will be passed on to insurers: You need to know

What information will be passed on to insurers: Joining the MyLicence scheme will provide the following information to insurers preparing a quote:

Type of licence held
Length of time the licence has been held for
Entitlements to drive
Penalty points
Conviction dates

Why is it needed: The facts revealed

Why is it needed: The paper counterpart section of a photocard licence is where information on convictions and current penalties is held. With the abolition of this counterpart in June 2015, drivers will have to check online using the View-Driving-Licence [https://www.gov.uk/view-driving-licence] service. This may not be convenient at all times. You need your driving licence number and national insurance number to view your details.

Will my licence details be shared: Is it a licence to spam

Will my licence details be shared: Your personal details and driving record will only be used to calculate a motor insurance quote and won’t be shared with anyone. MyLicence adheres to the Data Protection Act 1998, and there are strict controls in place about what data is provided, and how it can be used.

Will the service help me keep my licence up to date: Beat fines

Will the service help me keep my licence up to date: It could do. Your insurer is allowed to advise if the photocard is out of date or if the postcode on your application and licence does not match. This information could help you dodge fine of up to £1000.

Will parking fines be declared: And cost me more

Will parking fines be declared: Don’t worry, these are not kept on record by the DVLA so won’t be declared.

Where can I find out more: I am intrigued

Where can I find out more: Hmm – how about the official website, right here

Help – I don’t know my driving licence number
With the new MyLicence scheme making it more likely that insurance companies won’t quote without your driving licence number, it’s important to know what it is.

So, if for any reason you can’t get your hands on the number, here’s how to find it online.

What you’ll need: To find your driving licence number you’ll need the following:

National insurance number – You can find your National Insurance number on your payslip, P60 or tax return. If not, call 0300 200 3500
Postcode that’s on the licence
Your name and date of birth

Find your driving licence number here


If our guide doesn’t cover all you need to know, then please send your question using the comments section at the base of this page. We’ll do out best to find you an answer and add your query to the Q&A above.

Latest prices

The cost of buying or renewing your licence is set to fall by 30% from October 31, 2014

The cost of buying or renewing your licence is set to fall by 30% from October 31, 2014

There is also good news for drivers. The price of various licence-related services were cut at the end of October, 2014. Here are the details of changes…

New provisional licence: Falls from £50.00 to £34.00 online or £43.00 by post
Renewals: Fall from £20.00 to £14.00 online or £17.00 by post

Beware of fraudsters

Don't respond to emails asking you to give personal details

Don’t respond to emails asking you to give personal details

Changes to the driving licence have led to an increase in fraudsters attempting to exploit the confusion and trick drivers into giving out personal details. These can then be used to gain access to bank accounts and other forms of identity theft.

How does the scam work: Drivers are sent an email claiming to be from the DVLA. The communication asks motorists to use a link to a copycat version of the DVLA’s website, where they’re asked to verify their driving licence details.

Do not respond: The DVLA has not sent out an email and would never ask licence holders to divulge information through an unsolicited email or phone call. Do not click the link or give any information. If the DVLA want to contact you, it will do so by post.

Don’t respond to phone calls: As a rule, you should never disclose any personal details – such as date of birth, passwords, pin numbers, passport number, address etc – in response to an unsolicited phone call – even if the caller claims to be from the police or your bank.

Don’t call back: Many scammers use a technique where they ask the ‘victim’ to call them back, to give the impression it’s a genuine call. Many phone lines allow the fraudster to stay on the line, so despite you putting the phone down dialling the correct number, you are still connected to the crook. If you really think you should call back, check the number is genuine, then dial from a different phone.


The DVLA will never send any unsolicited email or other correspondence asking for bank details or passwords. Simply ignore it and visit http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/ to report it.

Changes to how your driving licence is managed is expected to create more such scams and ‘phishing’ emails – made more likely by the online checking systems that replace the outgoing paper counterpart.

We’ll update scam warnings as they appear, so check back regularly.

Drivers over 70 targeted with scam

Drivers over the age of 70 are being warned to ignore adverts offering to renew their licence for a fee.

This scam has been reported across the UK and police are concerned that recent changes to the UK driving licence will result in more people falling victim to the con.

Drivers over the age of 70 can renew their licence for free. Please read this article for information on how to do this. Do not pay anyone offering to do it. Renew your licence for free here

Copycat sites – don’t lose out

As with many Government-backed websites for services such as applying for passports and vehicle excise duty, there are copycat sites trying to take your cash for driving licence-related updates or applications. Typically, these sites will charge £40.00+ simply to fill in a form  you can do online, or on paper form, for free.

How to beat the copycat sites: This is simple; when conducting driving licence-related business, only use websites that start with www.gov.uk/ Stick to this simple mantra and you shouldn’t go wrong.

Report a ‘misleading’ website: If you think a website is trying it on, report it here.

Smartphone driving licence on the way, too?

Motorists could soon be allowed to have their driving licence on their phones according to the government agency developing the plans.

The DVLA have said a test system would be in place by September this year and we could see the service in public use by April 2018. They have claimed that the service will be ‘’quick, easy and secure’’, allowing people to share and validate information with ‘’trusted’’ third parties.

In a tweet by DVLA chief executive, Oliver Morley in May 2016, revealed that a prototype for a digital licence was in development. You can see the tweet below, showing an iPhone screen displaying the image of a licence in the Apple Pay app. In an additional tweet he explained that the digital licence will not be replacing the existing plastic licences and is simply an add-on that is possible since the scrapping of the counterpart licence.

Further details can be found in the DVLA’s business plan for the next 12 months.

It states: “During 2017/18 we will be developing a quick, easy and secure service to allow customers to view a representation of their driving licence on their smartphone.

“The driver will be in control of their data and this can be used to share and validate driver information with trusted third parties through a secure website. This service will not replace the full driving licence.

“The digital licence service will only be available to driving licence holders who have authenticated themselves on gov.uk through the existing driving licence service.

“This service will be available 24/7, wherever the driver has a web connection. We will develop a private beta service by September 2017.”

Take a new photo for your licence


Photos for your driving licence photocard should adhere to the same guidelines as those for your passport pic (you won’t need to get it signed, though). Getting the photo right is never easy, so why not download this handy app to do the work for you?

Download the app here 

Post navigation

74 comments for “DVLA Driving licence changes – all you need to know

  1. Southgate Marion says:

    Have tried to renew licence on line I am 70 yrs old in 2021 my licence runs out QOctober 29th this year 2019 it is saying my licence is invalid I have filled all the details correctly any ideas on what could be wrong.thankyou

  2. Derrick says:

    I need to renew my licence for 70 have just noticed my date of birth is one day out what needs to be done?

  3. Antony says:

    I want 2 change my address by post but I have lost my provisional photo card still have counter part but they ask 2 send both counter part and photo card can I still change address with just counter part?

  4. Sue says:

    We are going to California in September 2018 and are hiring a car. I have the green paper licence. Is this valid or will I have to get a card licence.

    • Sue says:

      Would I need one if I had a photo licence. My husband has a photo licence so would he need an international permit?

  5. Ash says:

    What does the code under my photograph represent?

  6. Kirk says:

    If my driving license has my previous address on is my driving license still a valid for of ID ?

  7. D Gill says:

    I have a PR to live in the UK. Due to my aged mothers illness I have to move out of the UK for about a year . What address can I give the DVLA for my licence .

  8. David says:

    My partner has had a green paper licence since 1981.
    The general rule is that a holder of a licence issued in any EU country may drive in another EU country as long as the licence is still valid.
    We moved to Sweden some years ago (before photocards were introduced), so she should be allowed to drive in Sweden on her UK licence.
    But the address on the licence (our last UK address) became out of date the day we left, and from the DVLA site it appears that it cannot be changed to one outside the UK.
    Does that mean she can in fact not drive here?
    She wants to change to a Swedish licence before the UK leaves the EU, but that can also only be done if the UK licence is still valid.

  9. Maz says:

    I have a full European Driving licence from Denmark and wanted to change the address to my address in the UK. Do I just apply for an address change here in Denmark and keep my European Licence or when I ask for an address change it will require for me to get a transfer for a British licence?
    Could someone advice me on the correct route to take from here onwards.

  10. Sarah Kendrick says:

    Do I need to have my licence signed by a professional person if I need to replace my licence and update my married name and address

    • Mark says:


      I don’t think so, that is normally for Passport applications. It’s normally only if you have to replace the photo.

  11. Alan says:

    I’ve recently moved from Scotland (where I passed my test in 1982) to Northern Ireland. I hold a photo licence which is identical to my friends who passed their test in Northern Ireland and has always lived here. The DVLA site won’t let me change address as it says my new address is not in the UK. The last I looked, Northern Ireland is part of the UK….

  12. Arthur L says:

    I have tried to notify DVLA of change of address on my driving licence and been sent a D801(A) application completion form. My licence is valid until December 18th 2016 so why have they sent me this form@?

  13. Margaret Lumpkin says:

    Please could you tell me if I need to change my address on my licence, as I have sold my house and am in temporary accommodation whilst I find another house, which hopefully will be soon. The fact that I will have to change it twice in a short time costing me £96 is atrocious , and I am a pensioner!

  14. Bolt says:

    I need to change my address on my license problem is I live on a holiday site we do not have postal address can I have the license sent to a correspondent address

  15. Ms S A Nealon says:

    Hi I have filled in section 2 and signed section 7, of form D1, to change my address on my plastic driving licence, do I need to send the licence also, I tried to change my address on line but my post code was not recognise even with checking it on the post office find a post code site.

  16. mandy says:

    I have send my provisional license and paper by post last week Monday, for change of address.How long does it to get it back?

  17. Lacey wood says:

    I had a provisional licence going back about 10 years it was in my maiden name I then didn’t carry on learning how to drive what have I got to do now do I have up purchase a new one in my new details.
    Many thanks

  18. trevor roger hincks says:

    i have been resident in canada for 38 years, i have a green paper british licence, and would like to change my residence address to my address in canada. how could i do this please ?

  19. Liz whire says:


    My photo license expires in 10 days . I’m going to PO on Wednesday as I haven’t valid passport so can’t renew online. Does this mean after the expiry date I can’t drive my car.

  20. Chas says:

    I have the same question as Tim who wrote the following in January but did not receive a reply:

    “January 15, 2015 at 8:49 am
    When you notify your change of address online, you receive an email thanking you for submitting your driving licence application online, telling you that it has been submitted for validation checks and that the new licence should arrive in the post within 2 weeks, and asking you to cut your old driving licence into two and return it to DVLA by post. It is not clear whether you should keep your old licence until the new one arrives, or are expected to return it immediately, and if so whether the new licence will be issued once the validation checks have been made or whether DVLA will wait until it receives your old licence before issuing the new one. Can you please clarify the situation?

    • Pete Barden says:

      Please call the DVLA on this, but I don’t believe there is any requirement to send it back before the new one is sent out.

  21. Alison Cairns says:

    I recently renewed my photocard so the issue date / valid from shows as January 2015. There is nowhere on my photocard that says I have held a license for 30+ years so how will a foreign car hire company know this?
    It does show as issue number 11 but not convinced they will know what that means.
    DVLA website also only shows validity period of current photocard

    • Chris says:

      Look on the back of the photo license. It shows when the various types are valid from-to.

  22. magdalena says:

    I want to do driving licence, I have provisional licence but its showing my old address as I have moved, I am not able to change it on line. Can I still apply for my intensive driving course?

    • Pete Barden says:

      Driving with an incorrect address on your driving licence means you could face a big fine.

  23. jean robinson says:

    I am 70 in September that is when my license runs out how do I get another one please

  24. Geoff says:

    Is the old style pink paper driving licence valid in Europe ?

  25. Al says:

    Can someone comment on the 72 hr validity of the DVLA access code we will need to give to car hire companies abroad? If hiring for 2 weeks, why do we need to obtain a new code every 3 days, surely we only need a valid code at the time of hire?


    • Pete Barden says:

      What I mean in the feature is that the code is needed when you hire the car – so you must hire the car within 3 days of getting the code. This means you can’t get a code before you leave for a two week holiday then attempt to hire a car one week in – without getting a new code which could be difficult in some areas.

  26. Marysia says:

    I applied for photo licence yesterday and was charged £20. Why when prices went down to £14 in August 2014?

  27. andrew says:

    is my Provisional driving licence valid id

  28. jim says:

    jim. if I change my paper license for the new one will all my groups be safe or is there a way to safeguard them in the process.

  29. Angelika says:

    Can I still use the counterpart to change the address on my licence ?

  30. j macleod says:

    I have a fully up to date photocard license and paper counterpart. Should i just cut up and bin my expired photocard?

    • Pete Barden says:

      You can cut up an ‘expired’ photocard. However, if you are travelling abroad and hiring a car, motoring organisations such as the AA are advising you take your obsolete paper counterpart with you – in case the news of its demise has not reached some hire firms on foreign shores.

  31. Ken Singleton says:

    my paper licence expires in October 2015, will it be valid for my holiday in the Canary Islands in September?

    • Pete Barden says:

      I believe it should be – but it might be sensible to call the hire car operator to ensure they don’t have any local laws or T&Cs that say otherwise.

  32. Peter kavanagh says:

    My licence is due for renewal in December 2015. I will be aged 79. Do I still get a free licence? Regards

  33. Stex says:

    Dear Tim, I have received mine in the post this morning, I am going to tear mine in half today and send it to DVLA.

  34. parcel says:

    I have a paper licence telling me it doesn’t expire till 2021.
    Yet I have to renew my photocard licence (which was issued at the same time)!

    Why, is this nothing but a “cash cow” for the dlva (definitely loaded an very anti-public).
    I can hear the mooing from here!

    • Pete Barden says:

      The paper one is still legal – as long as the details are correct. I still use mine and avoid renewing the photocard.

  35. Liz says:

    What about car insurers who expect a copy of your counterpart when you scrapped it as it was supposed to be abolished in January ?

    • Pete Barden says:

      The changes have now been delayed until June 8. There will be an online service where drivers can share their licence details with insurers etc.

  36. Lynda Gaines says:

    I have an old English green paper licence. I live in the USA but drive when I come over to England a couple of times a year. Do I have to update to a card licence or is the old paper licence still legal? Thank you, Lynda Gaines

    • Pete Barden says:

      I have a green one still. As long as the details are all correct, the green licence is still legal. If any details need changing, you will need to pay and have it updated – and swapped for a photocard.

  37. Tim says:

    When you notify your change of address online, you receive an email thanking you for submitting your driving licence application online, telling you that it has been submitted for validation checks and that the new licence should arrive in the post within 2 weeks, and asking you to cut your old driving licence into two and return it to DVLA by post. It is not clear whether you should keep your old licence until the new one arrives, or are expected to return it immediately, and if so whether the new licence will be issued once the validation checks have been made or whether DVLA will wait until it receives your old licence before issuing the new one. Can you please clarify the situation?

  38. Quaresma says:

    I’m a Portuguese driver. To be able to work as a driver ( either buses or lorries) in UK, do I need a counterpart?

  39. Eileen says:

    We have heard that the minimum age for learning to drive is being lowered to 16.5. It was to be introduced in 2015 but I cannot find out any information relevant to this law. Is this just in Northern Ireland or the whole of the uk?

  40. Elaine Hitchen says:

    I have a green paper license from 1974 with an expiry date of 2026 I also have a pink photocard license which has expired. Why did I have to get a photocard license in the first place and will I have to renew it if the green license is legal?

    • Pete Barden says:

      If you have a photocard then the other licence will probably have been cancelled. You will need to speak to the DVLA. You would haven been under no obligation to upgrade your licence to a photocard unless it needed changes to be made.

  41. Susan Hinder says:

    I have the old style paper licence without photo. Do I need to renew this as it does not run out for another 5 years.

    • Pete Barden says:

      Hi – No, this is legal and you are under no obligation to renew unless the address etc are wrong

  42. w.harris says:

    is there any change for the over seventies

  43. zaheer says:

    How do you remove points then..

  44. Ann Cooper says:

    What happens about driving abroad? At the moment we are required to take the counterpart.

    • Pete Barden says:

      Hi – It is the DVLA’s responsibility to ensure that all countries are aware of the change.

      • Pete Ross says:

        Try telling that to a Greek Traffic Cop. After 20 years of experience of Greek legislative ‘systems’, I’d suggest that you take every possibly relevant scrap of paper and plastic Identification, and keep it readily available in the car whenever you drive.

    • Pete Barden says:

      You should also read the section above about hire cars. You will need to take a special code with you if you need to hire a car for your holida.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.