How do I find out who owns a car? From minor damage to dumped cars on your land, find the registered keeper

Has someone driven into your car and left the scene without stopping to leave details? Or perhaps a vehicle’s been parked in a position that’s blocking your private driveway? Here’s how you can track down the registered keeper.

Find out who's responsible

Find out who’s responsible: image credit

For most cases of minor damage or blocked driveways, the cops won’t be interested in tracking down the owner of offending vehicles. However, all is not lost. Here’s all you need to know about locating the culprit.

Can anyone find out who’s the keeper of a third party car?

No. You will need ‘reasonable cause’. As an individual, these reasons might include the following:

  • Finding out who was responsible for an accident
  • Tracing the registered keeper of an abandoned vehicle or nuisance parker on your property
  • Tracing the registered keeper of a vehicle parked on your private land

What do I need to track down the owner of a vehicle?

First of all, you will need the vehicle’s make, model and registration number. Even if you haven’t got this, try looking around the scene for private CCTV cameras. With thousands of these devices on businesses and private residences, there’s likely to be one nearby. People will often help out if wronged.

What information will you need to give about yourself?

If your car has been damaged by another vehicle, you will need to provide the following:

  • The number of your vehicle and the third party car
  • Details of why you need the car keeper’s details

Will I need to send any other evidence following an accident?

You’ll also need to include these:

  • Police reference number, if you have one
  • Your insurance policy number if reported
  • Photo of the damage to your vehicle
  • Copy of repair quote, invoice or estimate
  • Details of any witnesses, if applicable


What about if the vehicle is on my drive or other area of property?

If this is the reason you’re after details, then you will need to send the following:

  • Vehicle registration number of the abandoned vehicle
  • The make and the model details of the vehicle that has been abandoned on your property
  • Where the vehicle is abandoned
  • Date you found the vehicle on your property
  • Proof that you live at the address given.
  • One of the following with your application: Gas/electricity/water/household bill, Telephone bill issued in the last 3 months, Bank/building society statement issued in the last 3 months blanking out any sensitive details.

How do I make the request for the registered keeper’s address?

Once you’ve collected all the information, download a V888 form, complete it and send off.

Download the V888 form

How much does it cost?

You will need to pay a fee of £2.50 to get the form processed.

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *