Do I need a VE103 form to take a vehicle abroad? Find out what it is and if you need it here

If you are taking a leased or hired car to mainland Europe then it’s likely you will need a VE103 certificate. Failure to carry the correct documentation will put you at risk of being fined or even having the vehicle impounded.

Not having the crorrect document to drive abroad could end in a fine or the vehicle impounded: i image credit

Not having the correct document to drive abroad could end in a fine or the vehicle impounded: image credit

Here’s all you need to know, with advice from the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association.

Get permission from the owner of the vehicle

Firstly, you will need to contact the lease or hire firm to ensure you have permission to use the vehicle in a foreign country. You will require written confirmation and this should be carried with you.

Get a Vehicle on Hire Certificate (VE103)

Along with the written permission, you will need a VE103 document. This is in lieu of the Vehicle Registration Document (V5C), which most firms won’t give out. Having this is a legal requirement for driving in mainland Europe.

How much is a VE103?

Expect to pay for this certificate, with costs typically around £8. You may need to pay around £15 to get it quickly.

How long is the form valid for?

The VE103 will be valid for one year.

How long will it take to arrive?

The BVRLA says the entire application process can take several weeks. However, firms such as the RAC offer a fast-track service for an additional fee.

What happens if I forget to get a VE103

Failure to carry a copy of the VE103 in the car could result in an on-the-spot fine or the vehicle being impounded.

Where can I get a VE103?

These organisations can help.

Anything else?

Yes, the French cities of Paris, Lyon and Grenoble demand your vehicle displays a Crit Air anti-pollution sticker. Read our guide to Crit Air stickers here.

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *