Traffic lights coming to UK motorways for the first time… tell us what you think

Traffic lights are to be installed on some of the UK’s busiest motorways in an attempt to slash congestion.

Are you ready for traffic lights on your motorway route?

Are you ready for traffic lights on your motorway route?

The first lights will be placed on the link roads that join the M62 and M6 motorways at Warrington, Cheshire, in a £7million trial set to start next month.

How this impacts traffic on this busy Croft Intersection – including travellers heading to Manchester Airport – will be closely monitored.

It will be the first time that traffic lights have been put on roads that are part of the motorway network. They are currently used on some slip roads at the point that drivers join the network.

The scheme will see electronic signs on the eastbound M62 heading towards Manchester warn motorists of upcoming congestion.

Traffic lights could be heading to parts of this intersection

Traffic lights could be heading to parts of this intersection: Image credit David Dixon

Under the next phase, traffic lights will placed at the end of the link roads from the M6 where they join the eastbound M62.

The lights will be used in conjunction with cameras to ensure congestion is managed effectively depending on prevailing levels of traffic.

The move has been sparked by a dramatic increase in traffic using the motorway network. Official figures recorded 68million vehicle miles in the year ending in June – up more than 30 per cent since the mid-nineties.

Highways England will monitor the scheme and, if successful, it could extend the use of lights to other sections of the UK motorway network.

At-a-glance guide to traffic lights on motorways

Here’s all you need to know about the scheme.

Where is the pilot?

The Croft Interchange, Junction 21a of the M6 meets junction 10 of the M62.

Where will the traffic lights be located?

Electronic signs will show on the eastbound M62, combined with traffic lights on link roads from the M6.

What is the aim of the scheme?

The introduction of lights is hoped to offer drivers a more reliable and consistent journey along the eastbound M62. This is one of the busiest traffic hot-spots in the region.

Will traffic lights be appearing on other motorways

Andy Withington, Highways England’s programme delivery manager for the North West, has indicated that if the scheme is deemed a success after 12 months of testing – and he believes it will be – the use of traffic lights is likely to be used on other motorways.

TELL US WHAT YOU THINK

Use the comment button below to tell us what you think of this plan.

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Should drivers over 75 take a yearly test?

How do I know if a fake ‘police’ car is trying to pull me over?

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Use buttons below to share this with family and friends

2 comments for “Traffic lights coming to UK motorways for the first time… tell us what you think

1. John ferris
    November 14, 2017 at 6:26 pm

Being lost for words probably explains my otherwise blank comment about this. Surprised they haven’t just added toll booths instead. These would reduce the traffic significantly as seen on the M6 toll.

2. Elaine
    November 13, 2017 at 1:45 pm

I don’t see how traffic travelling at 60 or 70mph would be able to stop in time for traffic lights unless of course these lights are going to operate in a different manner to those on other roads. Everyone would be doing emergency stops and I can’t see that working out too well for anyone.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *