Taking the train? New video reveals the cocktail of bugs, bacteria and fungi that’ll be sharing the ride

Thinking about taking a train to the airport or work? You might want to watch this video revealing the bacteria, bugs and fungi that one traveller picked up on a single trip.

Heading to the airport? You could be collecting a host of infectious stowaway to share your holiday.

A test of surfaces touched by a traveller taking a trip on the London Underground revealed he was exposed to the risk of skin infections, respiratory bugs and even food poisoning.

The video commissioned by Coldzyme shows a traveller wearing clean gloves embark on typical trip through the Tube system, touching the likes of chip and pins pads on ticket machines, handrails on escalators and stairs and grab-handles in tube carriages.

His gloves were then removed, sealed in a bag and sent for analysis by Dr Jacob Malone, joint group leader at the University for East Anglia and the John Innes Centre.

Among the bugs found were bacteria baddies from the Staphylococcus species, including S. aureus – which can cause skin infections, respiratory infections such as sinusitis and food poisoning.

While these are generally not a risk to those with a healthy immune system, those with a weakened system – such as tired, stressed travellers after a long flight – could fall victim to them.

There were also some other proteobacterial species such as Escherichia coli and Salmonella, of which some can cause diseases such as food poisoning, although many do not do this.

Want to swap the train for your car?

If the thought of sharing your ride to the airport with a gaggle bacteria, bugs and fungi isn’t appealing, there’s still time to book your parking and drive instead.

Get your airport parking quote

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Can motorway traffic officers give me a ticket

Motorway breakdown; what should I do?

I’ve been flashed, will I get a speeding ticket? 

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Six ways letting an ambulance by could get you a fine

MOT loophole could see you hit with a £2,500 fine

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

This 10-second licence check could save you £1,000

Help – I have forgotten to pay the Dartford toll

Mobile speed traps – will there be warnings signs?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Are your eyes about to lose you your licence?

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Never forget your MOT again with this free reminder service

Remove expired penalty points from your driving licence

Don’t get caught out by the Dartford Crossing

What are the categories on your driving licence? 

Can speed watch volunteers give drivers a ticket?

Use buttons below to share this with family and friends

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *