Taking cash in or out of the UK? If you’re travelling with cheques, including travellers’ cheques, notes and coins then you may need to declare it

Worried about taking cash in and out of the UK? Travelling with cheques or notes and coins could mean you may need to declare it – or face a penalty of up to £5,000. Find out all the essential information you need with this easy-to-use guide.

Has your cash got a passport to travel?

Has your cash got a passport to travel?

Travelling within EU countries

If you’re travelling with cash to the UK from another EU country, then you will not need to declare it – no matter what amount.

However, if you’re travelling with cash to other EU countries then you will need to check with the authorities in your intended destination.

Want know which countries use the euro? Find the European countries that do, the European countries that don’t and even the non-European countries that do…

Travelling to and from non-EU countries

For those travelling with cash of €10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) between the UK and any non-EU country, then you must declare it. This also applies to families travelling with the same amount or more when combined – it must be declared.

What counts as cash?

‘Cash’ is not only limited to notes and coins, it also includes:

• Bankers’ drafts
  • Cheques of any kind – including travellers’ cheques

Check your car tax, car insurance, MOT and driving licence are valid here

How to declare cash

If you need to declare cash then follow these simple steps:

• Download and fill in form C9011– or you can get a copy at the airport or port
  • Make a copy – if you complete the form at the airport or ferry port, it automatically makes a carbon copy.
  • Deposit a copy in the drop-box at the ferry port or airport and keep hold of the other copy to show custom officers.

If I don’t declare my cash, will I receive a penalty?

If you provide misinformation or do not declare your cash then you could be hit with a penalty of up to £5,000.

Your declared cash could also be seized by customs officers if they have reasonable grounds to suspect a crime. They can keep the cash for 48 hours – after that they need a court order, according to the Gov.UK website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *