How to report dangerous fly-tipping on the UK’s road

More than one million incidents of fly-tipping have racked up bills of more than £58 million for taxpayers – but the real cost can be much higher for innocent motorists.

Don't let them get away with it.... report it now

Don’t let them get away with it…. report it now: Image credit

While some fly-tipping takes place on waste land, many illegal tippers simply offload their rubbish on quiet, unlit, twisty country roads – risking damage to cars and serious injury to those in them.

Many of us will have turned a corner to be confronted by a mountain of dangerous waste dumped in the middle of the road – with no warnings to help prevent damage or risk of injury.

With stats revealing that 2016-17 recorded the fourth consecutive rise in incidents, it’s a problem that’s only going to get worse as police patrols are cut back and more charges are introduced for waste management sites.

To make matters worse, despite the increase in offences, councils are carrying out less enforcement. There were 474,000 actions taken by councils in 2016-17 – a drop of 20,000 compared with the previous period.

What are the penalties for fly-tipping?

Unlimited fine or five years prison

£400 maximum fixed penalty for small-scale fly-tipping

£120 minimum fixed penalty

What should I do about it?

If you see someone fly-tipping you should take as many details as possible and take photos. However, do not put yourself at risk. You should call the police on 999 if the fly-tipping has left items in a dangerous location that could cause injury to road users, otherwise 101.

How can I report fly-tipping?

If the rubbish is in a dangerous position that could cause injury to road users then dial 999 and report it to the police immediately.

For cases where it’s not an immediate risk, you should call 101 and then contact the council to ensure it is removed as soon as possible.

Use the following link to find the council that is responsible. You will need the post code covering the location of the fly-tipping.

Find the council responsible here.

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Can motorway traffic officers give me a ticket

Motorway breakdown; what should I do?

I’ve been flashed, will I get a speeding ticket? 

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Six ways letting an ambulance by could get you a fine

MOT loophole could see you hit with a £2,500 fine

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

This 10-second licence check could save you £1,000

Help – I have forgotten to pay the Dartford toll

Mobile speed traps – will there be warnings signs?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Are your eyes about to lose you your licence?

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Never forget your MOT again with this free reminder service

Remove expired penalty points from your driving licence

Don’t get caught out by the Dartford Crossing

What are the categories on your driving licence? 

Can speed watch volunteers give drivers a ticket?

Use buttons below to share this with family and friends

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *