New MOT changes – find out the essential information and what it could mean for you

Changes could soon be introduced to increase the length of time before newly-bought cars are required to have their first MOT test.

mechanical

Will you be affected if the changes come into force?

What are the current rules?

Currently, cars, motorbikes and vans require an MOT certificate once they are three years old.

What are the changes?

The Government is currently ‘analysing feedback’ on whether to extend the first MOT date for new cars to four years.

What’s the reason for the changes?

Due to advances in car safety technology the Government argues that modern cars stay roadworthy for longer, so therefore can wait a longer period before an MOT test becomes necessary.

The proposals also suggest that new car technology, such as tyre pressure monitoring systems, lane departure warning and wet weather tyre performance is making cars safer.

The Government estimates savings of £109 million collectively for motorists if the change is introduced.

Changing the law on when an MOT on a new car is required would bring the UK in line with European countries including Spain, France, Ireland, Italy, Denmark and Norway.

More than 2.2 million cars take their first MOT test every year, yet the number of three or four year old cars involved in accidents where vehicle defects were a contributory factor has dropped by almost two thirds – from 155 in 2006 to just 57 in 2015.

Check your car tax, car insurance, MOT and driving licence are valid here

If my car is over 4 years old, will the changes effect me?

The content of the tests would not be changed by the proposals and there are no changes being consulted on cars, vans and motorbikes aged four years or more – most of these needing an annual MOT test.

Can I drive my car without an MOT test?

No. Unless, according to the DVLA,  your car has failed or requires an MOT, you can only drive your vehicle to:

Have the failed defects fixed

A pre-arranged MOT test appointment

British motorists are being hit by fines for having a new MOT test carried out before their current certificate expire – find out the essential information here to avoid a possible £2,500 fine, a driving ban and three penalty points. 

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *