MOT reminder officially launched by the DVSA – join up here and never forget your renewal date again

Forgetting your MOT renewal date is easy to do and can leave you with a fine of up to £1,000. Read on to find out how to ensure it never happens to you.

We first reported on the ‘secret’ beta launch of this service in July, but now it’s officially here. Read our instant guide to the new official service to help make sure your car always stays legal with an up-to-date MOT.

Free MOT Reminder

New service revealed will help ensure you never forget your MOT again: Image credit

What is the new MOT reminder system?

The Driver Vehicle Standards Agency has now released its new system that will remind drivers that their car’s MOT is due.

How do I sign up?

Signing up is easy and free. Just visit the link below where you will be asked to enter your registration number and email address. You will then confirm the vehicle details are correct and hit continue.

Click here to sign-up for this essential new service.

The DVSA service is in Beta testing now

The DVSA service is now fully live

What will happen next?

To complete the sign-up process, you will be asked to check your email and confirm by clicking a link.

Check your clutter/junk file if the email doesn’t arrive – that’s where we found ours.

How will I be reminded?

Once signed up, you will receive an email reminding you that your MOT is soon to be up for renewal. Simple, but invaluable.

Is the MOT reminder service open to all?

Yes for most, but you can’t sign-up if the car:

• Hasn’t had its first MOT
  • Doesn’t have a current MOT
  • Needs more than one MOT a year
  • The vehicle is a PSV (public service vehicle) or HGV (heavy goods vehicle)
CHECK IF YOUR MOT IS VALID RIGHT NOW WITH THIS INSTANT AND FREE TOOL

What happens if I forget my MOT?

Driving without an MOT can result in a fine of up to £1,000, but it’s likely most offenders would receive a fixed penalty of £100. No penalty points are added for this offence.

However, If the vehicle was clearly dangerous and a serious risk to other road users, or had caused injury to its condition, then the charge and punishment would be far worse.

Not having an MOT won’t, as many people think, immediately invalidate insurance, but in the event of a serious incident it could give reason for an insurer to dispute its liability to pay up – potentially leaving the driver with huge debts.

Please remember to share this essential service to help friends avoid fines. Please use the share button below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *