Learner drivers arrive on motorways from Monday, June 4… all you need to know and do you agree with the change?

Learner drivers will be allowed to drive on motorways from Monday, June 4.

Here’s all you need to know if you’re learning to drive, teaching someone, or simply a fully qualified driver who uses the busy arteries.

Look out for learner drivers on motorways from Monday, June 4, 2018

Look out for learner drivers on motorways from Monday, June 4, 2018

When can learner drivers start to drive on motorways?

The law change comes into force on Monday, June 4, so expect to see L-plates joining the carriage from then.

So, all learners can drive on the motorway from this date?

Yes – but there are a couple of provisos. The student driver will need to be accompanied by an approved driving instructor – not just a relative or mate with a full licence – and the car must be fitted with dual controls.

Does this mean motorway driving is now part of the driving test?

There were major changes to how the driving test is taken that came into effect on December 4, 2017, but motorway driving is not a compulsory part of the test.

Lessons taken on the motorway are voluntary. It will be the responsibility of the driving instructor to decide if the student is competent enough to drive on a busy motorway.

Does this mean that learner motorcyclists will be able to drive on motorways?

No! Even if the biker is part of a training session, the rule change applies only to learners in cars.

What about the Highway Code?

The Highway Code, Rule 253, will be updated to take into account the change for car drivers with a provisional licence – and the conditions that accompany the new directive.

Are there any special rules for how other motorists drive near learner drivers?

There are no specific rules surrounding driving alongside learners on motorways, but official advice from the Gov.UK website says: “You should always be patient with learner drivers. They may not be so skilful at anticipating and responding to events.”

How will I tell if a car on the motorway is being driven by a learner?

If a learner vehicle has a roof box fitted with ‘L’ symbols on it, there will be no need to add separate L-plates elsewhere on the vehicle – so keep an eye out for these vehicles.

However, the instructor can remove the box for motorway driving, in which case, traditional L-plates must be fitted to the front and rear of the vehicle.

Why are learners being allowed on motorways?

The lessons will let instructors teach students about how to join and leave motorways, the correct way to overtake and when to change lanes.

Learners will also get experience and training to cover driving on smart motorways and what to do in the event of a breakdown in sections without an emergency hard shoulder.

Here is what learners will be taught by instructors on motorways.

Does everyone think it is a good idea?

No. A survey found that more than 56 per cent of Brits think the move is ‘dangerous’. People think the inexperienced driver could cause accidents, or drive too slowly and cause additional congestion on already-clogged motorways.

What do the lawmakers say?

Transport Minister, Jesse Norman, said: “Allowing learners to drive on motorways, with the support of an experienced driving instructor, will help them to develop a practical understanding of how to use motorways safely, and it will prepare them to drive on them alone.”

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Can motorway traffic officers give me a ticket

Fog lights – don’t get fined for misuse 

‘Secret’ exits from the UK’s motorways…

I’ve been flashed, will I get a speeding ticket? 

Six ways letting an ambulance by could get you a fine

MOT loophole could see you hit with a £2,500 fine

Do you know your rights if you’re stopped by the police?

This 10-second licence check could save you £1,000

Nervous flyer? Don’t risk a driving ban

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Should drivers over 75 take a yearly test?

How do I know if a fake ‘police’ car is trying to pull me over?

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Can you spot these ‘secret’ parking offences?

Remove expired penalty points from your driving licence

Can speed watch volunteers give drivers a ticket?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *