Should horse riders face a £1,000 fine for their animals fouling the roads? Have your say

A car hire firm is calling for horse riders to saddle the burden of cleaning up after their animals, or face a £1,000 fine for leaving piles of poo on the UK’s roads.

Good idea - or a bit silly?

Good idea – or a bit silly?

ValueHire.co.uk has made the controversial suggestion after surveying drivers who have to dodge, or drive through the equine waste product blighting many rural roads.

Spokesperson Susan Jones for the hire firm said: “76% of our customers are cross about this. Horses can leave an extraordinary amount of mess on the roads compared with a dog, so why should they be exempt from any of the fines dog owners face?

“Not only do cars have to drive around or through this mess, but anyone who uses the road could cycle or walk in it too, it’s really dangerous.

What do you think? Have you say here

Dog owners face big fines if they fail to clear up after their pets, so is it fair that horse riders can clog the roads with hefty piles of horse manure on the road?

The hire firm propose a £1,000 fine per offence, which they say would mean either horse riders took measures to clean up their horse mess or they contributed sufficiently to the clean-up by local authorities.

Vote above – or add a comment at the bottom of this page.

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Can motorway traffic officers give me a ticket

Motorway breakdown; what should I do?

I’ve been flashed, will I get a speeding ticket? 

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Six ways letting an ambulance by could get you a fine

MOT loophole could see you hit with a £2,500 fine

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

This 10-second licence check could save you £1,000

Help – I have forgotten to pay the Dartford toll

Mobile speed traps – will there be warnings signs?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Are your eyes about to lose you your licence?

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Never forget your MOT again with this free reminder service

Remove expired penalty points from your driving licence

Don’t get caught out by the Dartford Crossing

What are the categories on your driving licence? 

Can speed watch volunteers give drivers a ticket?

Use buttons below to share this with family and friends

4 comments for “Should horse riders face a £1,000 fine for their animals fouling the roads? Have your say

1. September 21, 2017 at 8:48 pm

I’d love ValueHire to suggest how someone on board their horse should go about clearing the road up after them safely without danger to themselves, the horse or other road users.

I know my horse would not stand still long enough for me to do it safely.

Also horses are herbivores and what comes out it’s mostly grass and hay, whereas dogs are carnivores and it’s entirely different.

I can’t roll my eyes hard enough at this ridiculous suggestion

2. D5edon
    September 20, 2017 at 9:41 pm

Ridiculous – will cross Valuehire off my list of possible car hire companies.

3. Mr Albert Ince.
    September 19, 2017 at 4:34 pm

A dog owner can easily clean up after their dogs,how would you suggest a horse rider does the same….firstly they would have to dismount the horse, that is assuming that they know that the horse has defecated on the road and then walk back and clean up the mess…..(that would be some poop bag). Now what do you think that horse will be doing whilst the rider is in the process of cleaning up,….he is going to wander off into the traffic and cause mayhem. Horses have been walking on roads and tracks for a thousand of years or more, are they suggesting that horses stay off of the roads……this is all bought about by a few stupid short sighted bloody minded people who are not going to change the way of the horse now or ever.

4. Jet
    September 19, 2017 at 3:51 pm

How ridiculous is this campaign. You can’t catch disease from horse manure like you can for dog muck. Is this going towards fining farmers for cow muck from milking herds on country lanes? If you don’t like animals smells and sights don’t come to the countryside.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *