Fake ‘DVLA’ refund email sent out in attempt to scam motorists

British drivers are being targeted by a fake DVLA email claiming they’re due a £240 road tax refund.

The scam email urges recipients to click a link within the email and enter personal and financial details. These could then be used to con respondents out of cash.

Don't get scammed

Don’t get scammed: Image credit: Dafydd Vaughan

The alert was originally published at the start of June on the Twitter account of BBC show Watchdog. It was subsequently also reported by the Sun.

The phishing scam is being sent to car owners asking them to click on a link and divulge personal details via an online form.

These details can then be used to con them out of money. Here’s all you need to stay safe.

What is the ‘DVLA’ scam message?

Here is an example tweeted by the BBC’s Watchdog consumer show.

The message includes what appears to be official DVLA branding and comes just weeks after new road tax changes came into force in April. Hinting that the scam has used confusion around the new rules to trap more drivers into giving out sensitive details.

What does the message say?

The message tweeted by the BBC’s Watchdog show informs drivers they are owed an “outstanding vehicle tax refund of £239.35” because of an overpayment.

Is it really a scam?

Yes! The DVLA says it will never contact drivers in this way with third-party links and requests for personal details or payment information.

Delete the email as soon as possible.

Should I open the email?

No! Even if you don’t enter any details, your machine could be infected by a virus from the third-party site.

What should I do if I have replied to the email?

Report the email to the police and inform your bank immediately – they will be able to ensure your finances are protected.

CHECK YOUR MOT, CAR TAX AND INSURANCE ARE VALID HERE

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *