Don’t get hit with a £1,000 fine for these simple mistakes on your driving licence

Moving house, or getting married could see British drivers hit with a £1,000 fine, for simply not updating their details.

Drivers across the UK are running the risk of receiving a large fine from the courts for having outdated details on their driving licence. This includes failing renew their photocard licence every 10 years.

Give your licence a health check here

Is your licence up to date?

What do I need to inform the DVLA about?

Failure to inform the DVLA of any of the below details could leave you with a £1,000 fine:

• Any change of address – permanent or temporary – needs to be report to the DVLA as soon as possible so your driving licence can be updated.
  • A change in name after getting married must also be detailed.
  • Any medical conditions that may affect your driving must be shared as well – you can find out more on what conditions this covers here. 

How do I update my details?

To update your details simply apply online at gov.uk or you can change your address on your licence by post.

Find out about all driving licence changes and hire car codes here

What about renewing my driving licence?

If you have a photocard driving licence, you must renew it every 10 years – you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends…unless you haven’t updated your address with the DVLA.

You can renew your licence online and it will cost you £14 if you still have your current driving licence – a small fee when compared to the possible £1,000 fine.

Find out the essential information here

Watch out for copycat sites – don’t lose out

As with many Government-backed websites for services such as applying for passports etc, there are copycat sites attempting to take your cash for driving licence-related updates. These sites will often charge you £40.00+ to simply fill out a form that you can do for free on the official website.

Post navigation

1 comment for “Don’t get hit with a £1,000 fine for these simple mistakes on your driving licence

1. Anita Romer
    20/11/2018 at 1:00 pm

Which form do I need for driving license for after forgetting to renew as an over70 year old

Leave a Reply

Your e-mail address will not be published. Required fields are marked *