Should cyclists have number plates and take a test before being allowed on the UK’s roads? Tell us what you think

British motorists think cyclists should have to wear number plates, take a safety test and have their bikes MOT tested to help encourage responsible riding, recent research has shown.  

Do you think cyclists should be hit with tougher penalties for not following the Highway Code? Image credit: SylvieDesign/Thinkstock

The Sharing the Road report by Halfords has revealed that 86 per cent of those surveyed believe an introduction of tougher penalties should be enforced for cyclists who don’t follow the Highway Code.

A further 81 per cent would like to see a crackdown on cyclists who ride aggressively and over half of respondents called for the introduction of number plates for cyclists.

Number plates for cyclists would allow them to be chased up for offences if they’re picked up by traffic cameras.

HAVE YOUR SAY HERE…

50 per cent of participants surveyed also agreed that cyclists should have to take a proficiency test before being allowed on the UK’s roads, but only 11 per cent said cyclists should have driving licence-style accreditation.

The report also revealed that, along with a call for penalties for cyclists, 80 per cent call for harsher penalties for motorists that drive aggressively near cyclists. 67 per cent also supported tougher penalties for those who pass too close to cyclists.

Tensions are clear on both sides, but what’s your opinion? Should cyclists have to undergo a proficiency test, have number plates and even have their bikes MOT tested? Tell us your thoughts in the comments.

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Can motorway traffic officers give me a ticket

I’ve been flashed, will I get a speeding ticket? 

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Six ways letting an ambulance by could get you a fine

MOT loophole could see you hit with a £2,500 fine

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

This 10-second licence check could save you £1,000

Help – I have forgotten to pay the Dartford toll

Mobile speed traps – will there be warnings signs?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Never forget your MOT again with this free reminder service

Remove expired penalty points from your driving licence

Don’t get caught out by the Dartford Crossing

What are the categories on your driving licence? 

Can speed watch volunteers give drivers a ticket?

Use buttons below to share this with family and friends

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *