BMW recalls 312,000 cars – is your car one of them and what is the problem?

BMW is to recall more than 300,000 cars after the BBC Watchdog programme revealed some if its cars could suddenly cut out while being driven.

Here’s a quick guide to finding out if your BMW is one of the models that might have the problem.

The 312,000 cars being recalled include the BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, Z4 and X1 models (library picture not representative of cars being recalled)

The 312,000 cars being recalled include the BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, Z4 and X1 models (library picture not representative of cars being recalled)

Which BMW cars are being recalled?

According to the BBC, the BMW 1 Series, the 3 Series, the Z4 and its X1 petrol and diesel models built between March 2007 and August 2011 are included in the recall.

What is the problem causing this BMW recall?

An electrical fault that can cause some vehicles to unexpectedly stall, leaving them without lights or drive.

How do I know if my car is at risk?

BMW is writing to all owners who have vehicles that may be at risk.

However, if you’ve purchased a car second hand, you should call your local BMW dealership as soon as possible

I thought this problem had been sorted out?

The company recalled almost 36,500 car in 2017, but according to the BBC, there could be similar issues in vehicles not included in the first recall.

In a statement to the BBC, BMW said: “We now recognise that there may have been some cases of similar power supply issues in vehicles not covered by the original recall.

“In order to reassure customers with concerns about the safety of their vehicles, we are voluntarily extending the recall.

“We are therefore announcing today that we will take the proactive step of expanding the existing UK recall to cover all vehicles potentially affected by the power supply issue.”

How to check if your vehicle has an outstanding recall?

The DVSA MOT history check tool also provides information on recalls listed at outstanding on YOUR car – whatever the make.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *