Cost Of UK Passports

If you need a new passport use the table below to understand what options there are to get a new passport or renew your passport, how much it will cost you, and how much time it will take. Understand your options and you won’t end up paying a high price for leaving it until the last minute.

Passport Rules and Regulations:

Post Check and Send at Post Office (includes £6.85 handling charge) Fast Track (one week) Premium (same day) Minimum time needed Length of passport
Adult First (includes passport interview) £77.50 £84.35 N/A (interview needed) N/A (interview needed) Post: 6 weeks 10 years
Adult Replacement £77.50 £84.35 £112.50 N/A Post: 3 weeks
Online: 3 weeks
Check and Send: 2 weeks
10 years
Adult Renewal or Amend £77.50 £84.35 £112.50 £129.50 Post: 3 weeks
10 years
Extend a restricted validity adult passport (issued before 1st May 2008) Free Free Free N/A Post: 3 weeks
Applicants need to check with the passport office
Extend a restricted validity adult passport (issued after 1st May 2008) £77.50 £84.35 £112.50 N/A Post: 3 weeks
Child First £49.00 £55.85 £96.50 N/A Post: 3 weeks
5 years
Child Renewal £49.00 £55.85 £96.50 £109.50 Post: 3 weeks
5 years
Extend a restricted validity child passport (issued before 1st May 2008) Free Free Free N/A Post: 3 weeks
Extend a restricted validity child passport (issued after 1st May 2008) £49 £55.85 £96.50 N/A Post: 3 weeks
Minimum time needed 6 weeks 6 weeks for first passports or 2 weeks 1 week 1 day services are guaranteed.

APH makes every effort to ensure that the information provided is accurate at the time of collection and publishing but it is provided without any kind of warranty. APH accepts no liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of the information.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrLinkedInMySpaceEmail

32 comments for “Cost Of UK Passports

1. Tony
    July 24, 2015 at 11:52 am

A standard adult first passport or renewal costs £72.50, or £82.25 if you use the Post Office’s Passport Check and Send service. Child passports cost £46, or £55.75 using Check and Send. you can read more here. https://www.gov.uk/passport-fees

2. james
    May 23, 2015 at 3:29 pm

I agree that people who reach 70 years of age should either get reduced fee say! 30%. Or be eligible for a 5 year period. Let’s face it after 75years how many people will need or use one. A one year passport would appeal. Come on Mr prime minister do something for the senior citizen

3. EJAZ NAZIR
    May 10, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I have submitted application and now I paid feed

4. john
    March 2, 2015 at 4:41 pm

EEC scrapped the need for passports between member states but unlike everything else Britain refused this one

• Pete Barden
      March 3, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Yes – it is strange that we can say no – occasionally.

5. maria
    February 10, 2015 at 12:49 am

how much is it for a passport if my last one was lost/stolen and can you get it same day you pay for it

6. Marcus
    January 28, 2015 at 3:04 pm

M Curtis, if you are travelling to Netherlands for three days, your passport will still be valid by the time you return, so you don’t need to renew.

But you should still renew now because a) the passport office will add any unexpired validity to a new passport to a maximum of nine months and b) if needed for a holiday, trying to renew a passport in June during the busiest time of year is going to take months and clog the system as happened and widely reported by the media in 2014.

P.S – All complaining about cost of passports, yes, they are an expensive one off cost, but they last for ten years, so that’s under £9 per year. Additionally the passport service is not run for profit, and they have a breakdown of costs on their website.

I would suggest that people not rush out to renew the whole family’s passports all at the same time, but stagger the renewals perhaps once a year. Then when the next set of renewals come around, won’t all have to pay at the same time, and by the time comes up for a second passport renewal, the holders will be adults all responsible for paying for their own passports!

7. M Curtis
    January 22, 2015 at 11:31 am

I am going to Holland for three days at beginning of April , my passport expires in June, do I need to renew ?

• sarah
      July 31, 2015 at 4:01 pm

I am going to pakistan in February for two weeks and my passport expires in early May, do I have to renew my passport?

• Pete Barden
        August 3, 2015 at 10:43 am

Hi – Here is what you’ll need:

Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months at the time of your visa application.

The Pakistani authorities have confirmed they will accept British passports extended by 12 months by British Embassies and Consulates under additional measures put in place in mid-2014.

8. Leah
    January 11, 2015 at 11:42 pm

Wow just forked out £164 in fees for passports. How on earth can the justify a name change the same price as a new adult passport! You don’t need a counter signature so the process is obviously different!
    Also by the time a child is 18 they will have paid a whopping £ 222 in passports!

9. K F Bourne
    November 28, 2014 at 1:33 pm

Is a free passport available for a person who is 85 years old

10. Miss Helen Healer
    November 8, 2014 at 10:05 pm

can a 1year passport be supplied as i am not accustomed to flying and would not be wanting
    a 10 year one. this would be a one off flight for me.

11. geo.kidd
    October 21, 2014 at 4:32 pm

myself and wife are both retired and our passports ran out this year. i feel that some sort of discount should aply,as the ability to travel is greatly reduced by our health and age.

12. Julie Morrison
    October 5, 2014 at 6:31 pm

My daughter is 15 if I buy her a child passport now will it last 5 years or will she have to get an adult one and pay again when she is 16?

13. Patricia Baxter
    September 15, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Costs for passport too high. Both husband and I pensioners wish to see family abroad etc. Husband is 80 and has to wait for 5 years for a free one – at 85 how many people are still wanting to travel abroad?

• rhoda
      January 30, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Free passports are only given to people born before 1930

• Pete Barden
        February 3, 2015 at 9:36 am

Yes – however at the time of writing (2014) the 1929 figure was correct. I have it in place to update the graphic with new wording to reflect the yearly increment.Thank you for your input.

• john
          March 2, 2015 at 4:38 pm

The year will not change as it is based on people old enough to have fought in the war

• Pete Barden
            March 3, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Yes – thanks

• S A Hornby
        June 25, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Please let me know how much my passport would be for me at 80?

• Dee Watson
      July 7, 2015 at 1:42 pm

You are so right Patricia Baxter, most elderly people over 85 do not wish to travel abroad especially long flights, not only is the cost of the passport high, the cost of travel insurance a joke too.

14. H Maline
    July 22, 2014 at 6:21 pm

My opinion is the Government need to spend more money on checking who is issuing false
    passport and visas to allow so many people to come into England in the first place. More boarder
    control – like Australia for example.

In Britain we seem to be paying for everyone and everything, which Countries are helping us??

15. Amy Dunn
    July 17, 2014 at 3:24 pm

We advise you to contact the passport office- https://www.gov.uk/passport-advice-line

16. mohammed Rashid
    July 11, 2014 at 9:49 am

my child has a british passport he would like to extend it now is there any fees he was born in 2005

17. Mr A B ASHBY
    June 22, 2014 at 9:46 pm

once youv’e paid for a passport why should you have to pay again prices are discusting

• Philip Evans
      July 16, 2014 at 10:18 pm

I agree the costs are too high!! But I understand the need in using new material is required, but should be ‘at cost’ with a very minimal fee. Labour costs to produce the passport? We pay our government very high taxes and therefore should cost us nothing for a passport in reality!!

Thank you.

Philip

18. Mrs c.Lish
    June 4, 2014 at 3:11 pm

Why does it cost £55.00 to renew a child passport just because they have had it since they’ve had it for 5yrs. I understand to chage photo I.d but why do they have to pay again ? We are a low income family with no income only benefits.

Thanks RSVP mrs C.lish…

• Philip Evans
      July 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Excellent message and point of view!! Thank you Mrs. C. Lish for making this very important statement and I highly agree with you.

Kind Regards,

Philip Evans

• Sarah
      January 13, 2015 at 11:38 am

I agree with many of the others here. The costs for my family of 5 to renew our passports are around £315! I am only looking to try and save money by going camping abroad rather than holiday in the UK, now that we are dictated to about when we can and can’t have family holidays. Only the children of the rich can win in this situation. Thank you, UK Government for sucking as much joy as possible out of childhood for those on lower incomes.

• Pete Barden
        January 15, 2015 at 1:35 pm

We’ll be running a feature on travel-related policy for the parties ahead of the General Election in May, so let’s hope they’ve got some good bribes ideas to help hard-pressed Brits enjoy a holiday.

• Mr M Nazim Sattar
      April 28, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Thank you Mrs C Lish. I am agree with you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *