Driving in Paris – will new Crit’Air anti-pollution stickers stop you driving in Paris? How to buy one, how much they cost and what are the penalties for not having one

Anti-pollution stickers will soon be required for all British-registered  vehicles driving in Paris. Find out how they work, how to get one and how they affect your plans to drive in Paris?

British drivers heading to Paris will have to display an anti-pollution sticker in their vehicle from March – with cars first-registered before 1997 banned from the French capital’s streets between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

There’s more bad news for diesel drivers heading to the city this summer – with the scheme being extended to diesel cars needing to be first-registered before 2001. Read our full guide here.

Sticker guide
What’s the sticker all about

Payment alert
Look out for unofficial sites

Hire car alert
Big problems with rental cars

Where to buy?
Where Brits can buy the stickers

Which one?
Find out which sticker you need

How long
When will your sticker arrive

Paris new anti-pollution sticker, crit air

Romantic drive in Paris? Don’t forget to get stickered

The sticker scheme, which became mandatory from Monday, January 16, 2017, will force all motorists to display a sticker defining how polluting their car is. .

Six versions of the Crit’Air windscreen-mounted stickers will be issued to clearly state the vehicle’s age, engine size and emissions-related cleanliness.

Older vehicles – including petrol and diesel cars registered before January 1, 1997 will be banned from entering the city between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday – regardless of pollution levels. Idenitical restrictions will apply to light vans first-registered before October 1, 1997.

The new sticker system applies to both domestic and foreign-registered vehicles heading into the city. All vehicles will need to display a sticker – regardless of the current pollution levels – or face fines and restrictions.

How to buy a Crit’Air anti-pollution sticker allowing me to drive in Paris

The French Embassy told us the following when asked how, when and where British and other non-French motorists can buy their Crit’Air stickers for vehicles not registered in France. Please note – you will need to send a scan or photo of your registration document.

Non-French motorists will have until March 31 to buy and display their Crit’Air vignettes – despite French- registered vehicles having to display them since January 16 this year.

The French Embassy told us: “Stickers for vehicles registered outside France can be ordered online from 1 February 2017.

“The website, https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/ which will be in various languages, will ask you to enter the necessary information from your vehicle registration certificate and attach a scanned copy of the certificate.”

Scanning problems: Please note, when uploading a copy of your registration document, the file size has now been increased from 200KB to 400KB, which will make it easier for scanning. This remains a relatively small size, so please remember to use photo editing software to optimise the file before attempting to upload. Photoshop and Paint are among the premium and free options available. Instant online optimiser sites are also available – such as imageoptimizer.net. Please note, we are not responsible for external sites.

How long will the Crit’Air sticker take to arrive: Users who’ve applied for a sticker have reported the process to be ‘clunky’ but – ‘tentatively’ –successful. Expect the ‘actual’ sticker to take up to 30 days, but a confirmation email should arrive within two weeks with a slip that can be printed off to prove the vehicle is covered.

Read more about the stickers below.

All you need to know about driving in Paris from January 16, 2017 – and March 31 for foreign-registered vehicles

Here’s our at-a-glance guide to Paris’ Crit’Air anti-pollution vehicle stickers.

Paris new anti-pollution sticker, crit'air

British-registered vehicles will need one of these Crit’Air stickers to drive in Paris from March 31

What is the change: All non-emergency vehicles will need to display one of six stickers to show how polluting they are. However, foreign-registered vehicles have a little longer to get their stickers.

What are the Crit’Air stickers for: The stickers, graded from 1 – 5 work with current levels of pollution in the city, so at times of toxic smog for example, the city can ban all or selected vehicles – defined by their Crit’Air rating – from all or selected areas Paris.

Is this a totally new system: No. The stickers are new but will support a policy brought in last summer where all, or selected vehicles can be banned from the Paris when pollution levels spike. The new stickers will simplify this for drivers – and those enforcing the bans – with a vehicle’s status clearly visible on the windscreen. This replaces the odd-even number plate scheme that was previously in operation.

Where does the ‘Crit’Air’ pollution zone apply in Paris: The whole of Paris includes the Crit’Air environmental zone. The city area of Paris is defined without suburbs and includes the area inside the city’s ring road – the “Boulevard périphérique”. This is not an official motorway and is described as ‘E15’ in the Eastern part of Paris, ‘Bois de Boulogne’ in the Western part of Paris and ‘Bois de Vincennes’ in the South east part of the city. Click below to see a map.

View where the Crit'Air restrictions apply in Paris: Click for map

The Crt’Air zone covers most of Paris and all areas inside the city’s ring road

Will I need a Crit’Air (CritAir) anti-pollution sticker for the Paris Ring Road (Boulevard Périphérique): It’s the road that thousands of Brits will use as they motor to the south of France or Alpine ski resorts, but the good news is you WON’T need to buy a Crit’Air anti-pollution sticker to use it.

However, some sat-nav devices may lead drivers to the 18km tunnel that runs beneath the city. Accessing this will need a sticker, so make sure your sat-nav is taking you on the Ring Road, or Boulevard Périphérique, as it is officially known.

Do I need a Crit’Air just for driving in France: No. The Crit’Air pollution stickers work in a similar way to the London Congestion Charge. You will only need to buy and display a sticker if you are planning to drive in Paris – or the cities of Grenoble and Lyon. If not – there’s no need to worry. However, keep an eye out for more cities joining the scheme soon.

When do foreign-registered vehicles need to get their stickers by: Anyone driving a foreign-registered vehicle in Paris will have until March 31 to buy a sticker.

How much will the Crit’Air stickers cost: The sticker will cost €4.18 (around £3.60) for drivers of foreign-registered vehicles.

How often do I need to renew the sticker: All Crit’Air stickers are valid for the lifetime of the vehicle, so you will never need to buy a new one for any individual car (as the law currently stands).

Does the sticker apply to the car of the driver: The Crit’Air is linked to the vehicle and not the driver. You’ll need one for each car you intend to drive in Paris, Lyon or Grenoble.

What signs will show where the stickers apply when driving in Paris: Look out for the signs pictured below. The red version shows where a zone starts and the other where it ends. It’s likely the signage will include another ‘Interdite’ sign, which will give more specific information on the Crit’Air restrictions that apply.

The red signs show where the Crit'Air zone starts and the black ones where it ends

The red signs show where the Crit’Air zone starts and the black ones where it ends

If my car is restricted, do I need to leave the city: No, the restrictions apply to travel. As long as you have a Crit’Air sticker, you can leave the vehicle parked in the city during periods its use is restricted due to high levels of pollution.

I have a pre-1996 car: Then you won’t be assigned a category. Put simply, this means you will not be able to drive your vehicle in the city’s Crit’Air zones between 8am – 8pm Monday to Friday.

More restrictions for diesel cars coming in the summer: From July 1, 2017, all cars will need to hold at least a Crit’Air 4 sticker! This means – along with older petrol and diesel cars that didn’t get a sticker in the first wave – diesel cars registered before January 1, 2001, will also be banned from entering the city 8am – 8pm Monday – Friday.

Will disabled drivers need a sticker: No. The Crit’Air exemptions page on the official website says:
‘As per French decree Décret n°2016-847 from 28th June 2016 vehicles bearing a parking card for disabled persons need no Crit’Air Vignette. Parking cards for disabled persons are the same all over Europe so that vehicles of handicapped persons are recognisable abroad, too.’

What Is the fine for driving without a Crit’Air sticker in Paris: French police have been told to be lenient in the early days, but this will be for a short time only.

Fines for those without stickers are:
€68 (£58.63) for cars
€138 (£119) for lorries.

Can I check what Crit’Air sticker I will need: Yes – run a simulation here.

Can I watch a French-language video on the Crit’Air scheme: Yes – yes you can.Click below and enjoy!

Anything else: Yes. The mayor of Paris, Anne Hidalgo, is no fan of cars and has made it clear she’ll be making life difficult for drivers.

Speaking to journalists, she said: “More cars means more pollution, fewer cars means less pollution. It seems obvious but in this post-truth age there are those who would argue that fewer cars means more pollution. We prefer to stick to the truth.”

She has spoken of eventually banning all diesel motors from the city’s streets.

Any other cities using the stickers: The French cities of Grenoble and Lyon are also operating a form of Crit’Air sticker.

Crit'Air at a glance

Crit’Air at a glance

Hire cars and Crit’Air stickers – motorists face big fines

With thousands of Brits heading over (or under) the Channel in hire cars, motorists could be left open to fines and big admin charges imposed by rental firms if the anti-pollution stickers aren’t purchased and displayed.

What’s the problem? With Crit’Air sticker relating to the vehicle and not the driver, anyone heading in Paris will have to rely on the hire car having a sticker purchased by the rental firm.

This could not be undertaken by the ‘hirer’ because the registration number and registration document are required to purchase one.

Who’ll pay the fine? As with any other unpaid fines incurred by the ‘hirer’, rental firms will typically take the fine and a hefty admin charge from the driver’s credit card.

It’s unclear if this would still be the case legally if the rental firm had been aware of the driver’s intentions to enter Paris, but neglected to purchase a valid Crit’Air sticker for the vehicle.

How much is the fine and admin charge? The fine for not having a Crit’Air sticker is €68 (£58.63) for cars, and with rental firms charging anything from £45 admin charges for paying penalty charges, drivers could expect a bill in excess of £100 through no fault of their own.

What the hire firms say: Posing as a customer, we phoned one of the UK’s leading hire firms and explained that we wanted to hire a car in England, then drive to Paris after the March 31 deadline.

When asked how to deal with the Crit’Air issue, we were told to ‘pop in to the Paris branch [of the hire firm] and pick one up.’ However, with ‘sticker’ applications for foreign cars required to be made online and accompanied by a copy of the vehicle’s registration document, this is unlikely to be a solution.

We’ve contacted several rental firms – along with the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA) the trade body for rental car firms – but have not yet received any comment on how the Crit’Air problem will be tackled.

Avis has since told us it will be holding a meeting next week (w/c 27/03/17) to discuss the issue – the same week as the law comes into effect for British drivers heading to Paris.

What should you do: Make sure you tell your rental firm as early as possible that you intend to drive in Paris. Make it clear you expect the car to be legal and that any fines will not be your responsibility. We’ll update this section with any comment we receive from rental firms or the BVRLA

Warning: Unofficial sites charging 6 times the face value for Crit’Air stickers. How to make sure you don’t get caught out.

Brit motorists heading to France are being targeted by sites charging huge administrative fees to supply the Crit’Air anti-pollution stickers required to drive in Paris from March 31. Stickers are also required in Grenoble and Lyon.

The sites are not operating illegally, but cashing in on confusion over the new system will leave drivers out of pocket by charging large admin fees for a service the French authorities offer for free. One site, listed below, is charging more than six times the face value of the stickers.

Some websites are also urging users to call ‘information lines’ which cost around €3-a-minute for French callers and significantly more for foreign-based users.

One site, Crit-Air.fr offers an international order page, where foreign motorists are charged €29.65 (around £25.56) for the anti-pollution stickers, as opposed to the official store price at €4.80 (around £4.18) for the sticker and postage.

Where to buy the Crit’Air sticker without admin costs

The official site to buy the anti-pollution stickers, as reported by this website, is as follows:


Users of this site will pay just €4.80 including postage for their Crit’Air stickers.

Websites charging huge admin costs that can be avoided 

The following sites are all selling stickers with a large mark-up that drivers do not need to pay.

Cartegrise-paris.com – selling for €10

Vignette-critair.fr – selling for €14.10

Crit-air.fr – selling for €29.65

The official price for the sticker is €3.70 (£3.19) plus postage.

Head to the official site here



This is how the new Crit’Air stickers will be applied to your car.

Lowest band restricted only for 100% pure-electric or hydrogen vehicles.

Plug-in hybrid cars and Euro 5 and 6 petrol models (registered from 1 January 2011).

Euro 4 petrol-powered cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010) and Euro 5 and 6 diesel models (registered from 1 January 2011).

Euro 2 and 3 petrol cars (registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2005).
Petrol cars registered before 1997 do not qualify for a Crit’Air sticker at all and will be barred from entering the city 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday
Crit’Air 3 also includes Euro 4 diesel cars (registered between 1 January 2006 to 31 December 2010).

Euro 3 diesel cars registered between 1 January 2001 and 31 December 2005.

Euro 2 diesels, registered from 1 January 1997 to 31 December 2000.

Petrol and diesel cars older than this are not eligible for a Crit’Air and will be barred from entering the city 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday.

105 comments for “Driving in Paris – will new Crit’Air anti-pollution stickers stop you driving in Paris? How to buy one, how much they cost and what are the penalties for not having one

  1. Tim
    March 21, 2017 at 8:28 am

    Applied for mine on a Friday night, got the confirmation and certificate on the following Sunday and the sticker arrived the following Friday. Bit of guess work for some of the questions which are in English but the message about what was wrong was still in French – thank you Google translate

  2. Ann Waddington
    March 18, 2017 at 9:30 am

    Just a thought as I am filling in the form. If my English car is caught speeding in France (which, of course, I never do ) the French have no access to British data and can’t send me a fine through the post. If I complete this form giving my registration number and address am I then opening myself to fines?

  3. John w Parham
    March 15, 2017 at 4:46 pm

    Hi All

    Does anyone have an address in France to send a postal request to please.
    managed to print off a French application, filled it in, copied my logbook details in colour & put 5Euros in with details. but can not find a address to post it all to.
    07836289232 please.

    • Edward Pridya
      March 17, 2017 at 8:03 am

      Dear John,

      Here is the address from the official website but it is only for French Registered vehicles;

      Voie postale :
      Service de délivrance des Certificats Qualité de l’Air
      BP 50637
      59506 Douai Cedex

      If you can I would strongly recommend ordering it online.; Now that the capacity for the attachment has been increased to 400kb the application should be much easier.

      Alternatively you can send your question to the official e-mail address which is:


      Good luck.


  4. Gordon Gilchrist
    March 15, 2017 at 11:48 am

    I have tried many times in the last few days to apply, but I get no further than the screen that wants me to move on to the payment screen, but it just hangs and says ‘connecting’ but it never does. anyone having the same problem

  5. Cara Tetlow
    March 14, 2017 at 11:09 am

    7 weeks after applying for the Crit Air on the government site, them taking payment but me never receiving an order number or confirmation (the screen just stuck on the payment receipt), and after several emails asking what the status of my order was (as you can’t search on their system with a non-French registration number, and without an order number), I have finally had a response from them saying that my order did not process completely and that payment “would not have been taken” until it had been accepted.

    Just emailed them with a screenshot of my credit card statement showing that (contrary to what they said) payment was taken from my credit card – so I guess I now have to place another order and wait for a refund of the first. Wonder how many times I’ll end up paying before I finally get the certificate?

  6. alan england
    March 12, 2017 at 9:08 am

    does one stick in the widow or outside on bumper

    • Harvey
      March 17, 2017 at 11:16 am

      I would fix it inside as the adhesive is on the front of the disc

  7. Muttley
    March 11, 2017 at 12:22 pm

    I spoke to Europcar today about driving a hire car from UK to Paris in May. They’d never heard of Crit’Air and said it would be our responsibility to sort out a certificate. Impossible without even knowing which car they will give us, and they can’t do that until we pitch up on the day. Helpful – NOT!

    • Pete Barden
      March 12, 2017 at 10:11 am

      Hi yes. I have spoken to press offices and they are totally unaware of how the system works. See above. I predict fines – and admin charges- being passed on to customers. As you say, hire firms need to buy them now. Unlikely!

  8. Edward Priday
    March 8, 2017 at 7:30 am

    Many thanks for all your guidance on applying for the certificate which is much appreciated, particularly with regard to attaching a copy of the registration document. My document was in PDF format and luckily after much trial and error I found a website which converted it to JPEG at the right size.

    I have now received an e-mail saying that my application has been approved, with my home address on the attachment, but stating that the certificate will be posted to the registered address on the Car Registration Document. As the car is leased the this will be the car leasing company’s address. Are we sure that it will be posted to the registered address rather than the home address which they have on file? It does seem rather cumbersome and prone to certificates getting lost.

    • Pete Barden
      March 8, 2017 at 7:35 am

      Hi. Will look into this – it’s an issue for people who use hire vehicles too. I would hope that the French system cross-references a database … but who knows. It’s not as straightforward as you’d imagine is it?

      • Edward Priday
        March 15, 2017 at 7:36 am

        Dear Pete,

        I am pleased to advise that the Certificate arrived at my home address rather than at the Registered Keeper’s address (the car leasing company). This is good news but the website is incorrect in stating that certificates will be sent to the registered address. Perhaps this is some feedback which can be sent to the Government Agency?

        Many thanks for all your efforts on this website.


        • Pete Barden
          March 15, 2017 at 11:38 am

          Thanks for the update Edward,this will be very useful. Thanks again and enjoy your trip.

          • Edward Priday
            March 15, 2017 at 1:59 pm

            Dear Peter,

            Thank you for your reply – here is the wording in the e-mail confirming that my application had been approved and which is incorrect in stating that the certificate would be sent to my address where the car is registered (in my case the leasing company)…

            “Votre certificat sera expédié prochainement par courrier à l’adresse où le véhicule est enregistré”.

            Very confusing and wrong and I am sure that others, like me, contacted their leasing company to say that they might receive the certificate and could they kindly post it on to the home address.


    • Paul C
      March 12, 2017 at 9:28 am

      As an interim process, I received a ‘facture’ by email – a receipt with a reproduction of the sticker I was to receive at the foot. The receipt said that this could be printed and used in the interim while waiting for the sticker itself. As this will come to you, I think that possibly this will solve your immediate problem.

  9. Anne
    March 7, 2017 at 12:07 pm

    Hi we are driving to Disneyland Paris from Calais will we need a sticker?

    • Pete Barden
      March 7, 2017 at 3:48 pm

      Disneyland Paris is outside the Crit’Air zone, so along as you’re not heading into the city, then no.

  10. Reece
    March 6, 2017 at 4:00 pm

    I use a lot of rental vans abroad in France and the problem is that the rental companies can not confirm vehicle reg numbers to me until maybe a week before I go if im lucky so what happens if I need a disc quickly or I have to change the vehicle !! …reading previous comments of 30 days wait etc….!! .

    • Pete Barden
      March 7, 2017 at 3:50 pm

      This is one for your hire firm. They will need to get the certificate because you won’t have the registration document. If they don’t and you’ve told them you’re heading to Paris, it seems unlikely they would be able to pass on the fine. In theory.

  11. James
    March 3, 2017 at 9:27 am

    Good morning I received an email yesterday informing me that my application was successful, therefore the information I supplied was correct, I.e copy of page 2 of log book, VIN number and make and model of vehicle. At the bottom of the email is a copy of the Crit air sticker which you can display in your windscreen until you receive the proper one. According to the RAC at least 22 other towns and cities are looking to introduce this scheme within the next thee years.

  12. Edwards
    March 2, 2017 at 7:36 pm

    I applied on 14th February, after some effort to comply with the 200KB scan restriction.
    The charge was taken from my French bank account and a confirmation issued by e-mail with a reference number so that the vignette progress could be checked. I was informed that the vignette could take around 30 days to arrive at my English address by post. I have today received a further e-mail showing my invoice for €4.80 paid, and a slip which I can print off, showing my yellow 2 sticker, which I can use to prove that my car is legal to enter Paris, until my actual sticker arrives in the post. Although I am going into Paris prior to 31 March I am therefore covered for a return journey after 1 April because the actual sticker for the windscreen will arrive at my English address whilst I am still abroad. If all goes well then it seems to be reasonably well organised. Whether all this will make any significant difference to actual air quality remains to be seen

  13. Peter N
    February 28, 2017 at 9:16 am

    What happens if I buy the permit/sticker before the required date but change my car after the end of March and before the anticipated date of travel which is not until June? Does it make any difference that because I use a personalised registration plate, that mark would remain the same even though the make of vehicle (although still a car) and its year of first registration/emissions etc. may be entirely different?

    • Pete Barden
      March 17, 2017 at 11:17 am

      The system is very clear that it applies to the vehicle and not the driver. You would certainly be risking a fine if you failed to get a new one. Frustrating, I know.

  14. Rob
    February 26, 2017 at 5:32 am


    I will be driving on the A6 and A7 motorways which run into the centre of Lyon. Does anyone know if they are far enough in that they fall into the Crit’air zone?

    • Paul C
      February 28, 2017 at 5:25 pm

      There’s no need to go through Lyon – a hairy passage at the best of times. There’s a clearly marked ring road which will obviate the need for a sticker. However, saying that, I’ve just applied for a sticker as I enjoy the challenge!

      • Rob
        March 3, 2017 at 10:56 am

        I think it may be the ring road I was meaning it goes along the riverside and through a tunnel if my memory serves me right. This is the way my Sat Nav takes me anyway. Is this where you’re meaning? If so then no sticker required is great.

        • David
          March 4, 2017 at 8:17 am

          The ring branches off north of the city by the giant “tuning fork” as I call it, the route straight throu tunnel and out next to river is most direct but not ring road.

        • Paul C
          March 12, 2017 at 9:21 am

          The road by the riverside is the direct route through Lyon. The ring road starts well before you get there, well signposted for E15 and trucks – it’s a fork right instead of straight on. The riverside will need the sticker. I received my sticker (Group 1) yesterday and am about to apply it. Two points: – I scanned the entire l.h. page of the registration document at 96 d.p.i. and it gave a file of a tad over the 240 kb they request. You could scan just the column with all the details on at 96 d.p.i. or try a lesser resolution. nThe main question I have is how one knows which stickers are unwelcome at which times – are there warning signs on the gantries, for example? I’m hoping my little Fiesta 1.0 ecoboost will be welcome anywhere all the time!

  15. Adam
    February 21, 2017 at 1:48 pm

    Hi, I have 1992 Talbot Express camper-van. I understand that this is barred from entering the city between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday, however is it OK to drive through the city outside of these times (ie. at night/ on weekends) and without having a Crit’Air sticker? Many thanks, Adam.

    • Pete Barden
      February 21, 2017 at 2:05 pm

      Yes – outside of these times is okay. Additionally, The Paris ring road ((Boulevard Périphérique) can be used at any time.

      • Adam
        February 21, 2017 at 2:24 pm

        Thanks Pete, also just as a matter of interest …if I were to visit the city for the day, during a weekday, arriving early and leaving late (say arriving at 7am and leaving at 9pm), parking in a public carpark, would this be OK without a Crit’Air sticker? as my vehicle would be parked-up and stationary for the barred time period.

        • Pete Barden
          February 21, 2017 at 2:42 pm

          Hi Adam, That is an interesting one. I believe it is just cars that drive during the periods. I can’t imagine that all residents of Paris – who also have to adhere – would take kindly to clearing the ‘offending’ cars from their homes in the city. I will contact the office for an official response, but I think you must be correct.

          • Adam
            February 22, 2017 at 10:31 pm

            Hi Pete, it would be interesting to find this out from the officials. Let me know if you get an answer :)

          • Pete Barden
            February 23, 2017 at 10:31 am

            Hi – Have sent a message. Will put answer on here.

  16. Paul Andrew
    February 21, 2017 at 5:19 am

    Hi there. I have applied for the sticker on 2nd Feb 2017. Got the receipt page via an email Euro 4.80 was paid so i am sure it was the correct site.. Everything looks OK. Paid OK, but on the French site it says that i will receive an email showing the sticker i will receive. I haven’t received this yet.

    I have sent them a question vis their site asking if everything is of with my on-line application? I have had no reply and on the tracking page it just tells me ‘ in progress’.

    We are driving through Lyon soon and are staying in an hotel in the centre of Lyon so we will need the sticker.
    What do i do if we do not have the sticker? and why have we not had any form of contact from them. Has anyone in the UK received the sticker?

    • Pete Barden
      February 21, 2017 at 9:43 am

      Hi – What site was it?

      • Paul
        February 21, 2017 at 12:58 pm
        • Pete Barden
          February 21, 2017 at 2:03 pm

          Hi Paul – that is the official site, so should be fine. Unsure why no confirmation arrived.

          • Cara Tetlow
            March 14, 2017 at 11:14 am

            Hi Paul, Pete,

            This is exactly the same problem I had and waited 7 weeks for a response from the government site about, which ended up saying the order didn’t complete properly as I hadn’t clicked a button to complete the order, that I wouldn’t have been charged (i.e. that payment is only taken when the order is accepted). But no ‘button’ ever appeared (site got stuck on the receipt) and the transaction did go through fully on my credit card. So I’ve emailed them back today to demand a refund and advise them that their site is not working as they think it is.

            Email from Crit Air people copied below:

            Après vérifications, il s’avère que vous n’avez pas finalisé votre commande.
            En effet, après le paiement et la réception du détail de la transaction, il faut cliquer sur « continuer » afin d’accéder à l’onglet 4 « récapitulatif » pour finaliser votre commande.
            Nous vous invitons donc à réitérer celle-ci.
            Par ailleurs, nous vous informons que votre paiement est validé uniquement après acceptation de votre demande.

          • Pete Barden
            March 14, 2017 at 11:17 am

            Hi Cara, Thanks for your comment. Looks like there are going to be a few problems with this system. There’s a good chance that things will come tumbling down as the big summer rush begins. Keep us updated on how the refund goes.

      February 28, 2017 at 11:12 am

      Likewise I’ve (finally) had the logbook reduced and sent off the Application. I’ve received the confirmatory e-mail and the 4.80 Euros has been taken from my Credit Agricole Account. The confirmatory e-mail did not show the sticker I will eventually (?) receive! Twice during the Application process I contacted their FAQs, with no reply. (I gather they’re taking on more staff)! When I try to track my Application I get nowhere – it states “incorrect registration no” despite me putting in the correct no which coincides with the car, logbook, Application and confirmatory e-mail!
      Roll on the 30 days when it’s supposed to arrive, but I’m not getting too excited!

      • DAVID V JOHN
        March 4, 2017 at 6:42 am

        Now I am excited! I’ve received the confirmatory e-mail WITH the copy of the yellow certificate. I can use this if stopped before receiving the stick-on Certificate which should arrive in the next 2 or 3 weeks(?). The time from Application (eventually)! to receipt of this confirmatory e-mail was c.10 days. Thanks for the help (including emotional support)! and good luck – hopefully their Application process will become more “friendly” and applicants won’t need it!

        • Pete Barden
          March 4, 2017 at 1:54 pm

          Good luck.

    • Paul Andrew
      March 2, 2017 at 8:55 am

      Hi Pete
      It’s now been 30 days and still no sticker. I have sent them 2 emails via their link and no reply. What’s the delay? Has anyone in the UK had their sticker?

      I have noticed this morning on their web site that disabled cars (people) do not need this sticker….is that correct? It does state on my log book (copy sent) that my car is disabled so maybe that’s the delay. If so then you would think there would be a refund and something to show the police, if stopped by them, that the car is a disabled car.
      Thanks mate

      • Pete Barden
        March 2, 2017 at 10:44 pm

        Hi Paul – Hopefully Bob’s reply will help. All looking a bit hit and miss.

        • Paul
          March 4, 2017 at 6:32 am

          Morning Pete
          I got my yellow sticker through the post today…..all good but lack of e mails from them makes you think your not going to get it.

          From start to finish (receiving it) it’s taken 32 days so there’s hope for all them who are waiting.

          • Pete Barden
            March 4, 2017 at 1:57 pm

            Thanks for letting me know Paul. Will put this info in the guide. It’s good to have all this real experience of the system for when the summer panic starts… me included, I have to confess.

  17. Bob
    February 18, 2017 at 11:08 am

    Hi. Which page of the logbook do you have to upload? The system will only accept 200kb jpeg or png of the logbook. thank you

    • James
      February 20, 2017 at 3:40 pm

      The inside page with the vehicle details and registered keeper, hope this helps

      • Bob
        February 21, 2017 at 1:12 pm

        Thank you. Have applied however have not received any confirmation email. Money have been taken from credit card. Any idea how long to wait for confirmation email?

        • Bob
          March 2, 2017 at 9:55 pm

          Update on Crit’air order. Placed order on 18 Feb 2017. Paid by credit card and no confirmation email received. Received an email today to confirm application was successful with an attachment which contain the sticker number. In my case with diesel euro6 I received number two yellow sticker. The email was in French and the attachment as well was in French. They did mention that the sticker is on its way in the post and the email attachment can be used as proof.

    • JohnS
      March 12, 2017 at 11:25 pm

      Application website currently states:

      The attachment must be in .pdf, .png or .jpeg format and must not exceed 400kB

      I had fun getting my scan down to below 200kB (actually managed 141kB and still readable).

  18. February 17, 2017 at 9:25 pm

    what does EURO STANDARD mean on application form.Please.

    • James
      February 20, 2017 at 3:42 pm

      Not sure what it means but you do not need this information as is not a mandatory field

  19. Michael Field
    February 17, 2017 at 1:04 pm

    Is there still talks on allowing classic vehicles more than 30 years old, exempt from these rules?

    • Pete Barden
      February 17, 2017 at 10:57 pm

      Yes. I will update when finalised.

  20. Steve
    February 16, 2017 at 7:31 pm

    Trying multiple times but will not save after scaned log book, any ideas

    • Pete Barden
      February 17, 2017 at 12:42 pm

      Hi Steve – Is it still a problem? I will contact them if it’s still not working.

      • DAVID V JOHN
        February 18, 2017 at 4:17 pm

        Hi Pete – exactly the same problem as Steve. Just scanning (presumably the relevant) p.2 of the V5C is sized at 2.2MB rather than the allowed 200KB. A huge scan, and a miniscule allowance! Any suggestions as Steve and surely can’t be the only frustrated applicants!

        • Pete Barden
          February 18, 2017 at 7:22 pm

          Hi – it really is a poorly thought out service. Have you access to photoshop to optomise it? If stuck let me know and I can help out – if you’re happy to share you doc.

          • DAVID
            February 19, 2017 at 11:35 pm

            Many thanks, Pete. My IT literate son has optimized and resized my p.2 Scan so hopefully it will now work. But this must be a common problem – I see “Bob” has had the same problem.

          • Pete Barden
            February 20, 2017 at 11:13 am

            Glad you got it sorted. I added a bit to the blog about this. Thanks for highlighting it as I have not used the service yet (going over later in the year).

          • Sandra Willetts
            February 21, 2017 at 4:33 am

            Hi we are having trouble reducing the log book. Can you advise please. My email issandraw49@hotmail.co.uk

          • Pete Barden
            February 21, 2017 at 9:42 am

            Hi – Try putting the file through this online tool. It should work. http://www.imageoptimizer.net/Pages/Home.aspx

    • James
      February 20, 2017 at 3:45 pm

      I found it would not save until the document was no larger than 200 Kb. Once it was the correct size it ‘ saved ‘ first time

  21. michael
    February 14, 2017 at 2:19 pm

    when filling in the online form, there’s a section titled Brand, any idea what this is?
    is the car make i.e. ford. or something else.
    additionally it also ask a trade name? what is this also referring to??

    • Pete Barden
      February 14, 2017 at 3:11 pm

      Yes – I believe that ‘brand’ is the make and ‘trade name’ refers to the model. Thanks.

      • michael
        February 14, 2017 at 5:39 pm

        and the serial number is the Doc Ref No on the V5C form?

        • Pete Barden
          February 15, 2017 at 3:57 pm

          I believe so. Let me know if you have any problems. Thanks

          • Bob
            February 18, 2017 at 10:54 am

            Hi. Which page of the logbook do you have to upload? The system will only accept 200kb jpeg or png of the logbook. thank you

          • Pete Barden
            February 18, 2017 at 7:27 pm

            I will try to get their word on this.

        • James
          February 20, 2017 at 4:01 pm

          Hi Michael like you I was unsure what the seriel number was, according to a friends insurance company it is the VIN number they want. I applied yesterday and my application was successful. I will leave another reply when (and if) I receive my sticker

      February 18, 2017 at 5:36 am

      I agree with Pete re the Brand and Trade Name, but my difficulty is attaching the scanned V5C. I assume p.2 only is required but against the allowed 200KB the size of my p.2 Scan is 2.20MB! Where am I going wrong?!

      • Pete Barden
        February 18, 2017 at 7:28 pm

        Give me a shout if stuck

      • James
        February 20, 2017 at 4:03 pm

        Page 2 is correct but you will need to reduce it to 200kb before it will save the information

    • James
      February 20, 2017 at 3:48 pm

      Hi Michael the brand is the the make of vehicle, I added the model as I was not totally sure. My application was successful. You don’t need to fill in the trade name

  22. Cara Tetlow
    February 8, 2017 at 7:29 am

    Just wondering if anyone has successfully applied for one of these with a UK registered car?

    We tried on the first day it opened up for non-French registered cars – completed form fine – payment processed fine – but the website never provided the final confirmation page and no email confirmation has been received.

    When you try to search the status of your application, you can’t search using the registration number of non-French cars and have to have an order number (which we never received). But – the transaction has been charged to my credit card. I’ve tried contacting them twice via their online contact form but have yet to receive a response…

    • Pete Barden
      February 8, 2017 at 8:37 am

      Hi. Was it the official site? Let us know how you get on.

      • Cara Tetlow
        February 8, 2017 at 10:21 am

        Yes – it was the official site: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/

        Will keep you posted…

        • Pete Barden
          February 8, 2017 at 10:47 am

          That’s good. There are quite a few sites offering a ‘service’ that looks a little dubious. I tried to use the official site yesterday and found it rather confusing. I will see if I can get more information on tracking non-French plates. The embassy press office has been helpful, so far. Let me know if anything changes at your end. Thanks.

          • Bob
            February 9, 2017 at 7:55 pm

            Hi. Could someone please confirm which page of the V5C certificate picture need uploading for the application. The system allows only one picture to be uploaded however the V5C is 4 pages. Thanks

    • James
      February 20, 2017 at 3:52 pm

      Hi yes I applied yesterday and was successful. I was able to print the receipt. I also received an email confirming my application. I was also unable to track the application due to ‘ incorrect registration number ‘ so your probably right about recognising UK. Cars

  23. Charles Farmer
    February 6, 2017 at 1:48 pm

    Can you pay for these permits by credit card?

    • Pete Barden
      February 6, 2017 at 2:09 pm

      Hi – Yes, I believe cards will be the main method.

    • James
      February 20, 2017 at 3:54 pm

      You can only pay by card as it is an online application

  24. Glennys Dalby
    February 4, 2017 at 11:03 am

    I’m driving a new petrol car from Calais to the champagne area in September this year. I will not be going to Paris, Grenoble or Lyons. Will any cities in that area introduce this scheme? Will I need a Crit’Air sticker?

    • Pete Barden
      February 4, 2017 at 11:17 am

      No. You will be fine. Just avoid the aforementioned. No need to buy a Crir’Air sticker. Have a great trip.

  25. Richard Brown
    February 2, 2017 at 2:07 pm

    So if I’m driving my 2CV to southern France via Paris and stay on the Peripherique there’s no problem?

    • Pete Barden
      February 2, 2017 at 2:30 pm

      Yes, the official site defines the zone as inside the Peripherique. Enjoy the trip!

    • Steve
      February 21, 2017 at 11:51 am

      I’ve also own a Citroen 2CV, the average emissions test puts them at 151. There doesn’t appear to be a facility for older classic cars. My 2Cv is fastidiously maintained and in Suberb condition, will I be banned from entering any of the above cities?

      • Pete Barden
        February 21, 2017 at 2:01 pm

        You may be barred at certain times. There is, however, talk of exemptions for classic cars. Will update when confirmed.

  26. glyn smith
    February 1, 2017 at 5:13 pm

    hi driving 2.8 jtd motorhome and not going to any of these cities just driving through france to spain will i still need these stickers ???? cheers glyn.

    • Pete Barden
      February 1, 2017 at 5:26 pm

      No it is like the London Congestion Charge – only if visiting these cities.

  27. JV
    January 28, 2017 at 2:12 pm

    How will the system cope with cars that have no emissions data recorded on the V5C, or where section D2 is entirely blank?

  28. Jan Visser
    January 26, 2017 at 3:45 pm

    If all cars displaying the badges 0 to 5 are still allowed to drive in Paris; what is the point? One badge for cars made before 1996 (1997 for vans) would be sufficient and those would have to adhere to the restrictions. Simple solution or am I missing something?

    • Richard Brown
      February 2, 2017 at 2:12 pm

      If you read the details, what cars are permitted or banned will depend on the pollution forecast for that day, the higher the pollution the more categories will be banned, starting with the highest polluters. On good days no cars will be banned. I think.

      • Pete Barden
        February 2, 2017 at 2:22 pm

        Yes – but older cars that don’t qualify for a Crit’Air will be barred 8AM-8PM Mon-Fri regardless of pollution levels.

        As mentioned in the guide, this not a new scheme, but a new way of enforcing it…

        The stickers are new but will support a policy brought in last summer where all, or selected vehicles can be banned from the Paris when pollution levels spike. The new stickers will simplify this for drivers – and those enforcing the bans – with a vehicle’s status clearly visible on the windscreen. This replaces the odd-even number plate scheme that was previously in operation

        And yes, you do not need to worry if not driving in Paris (or Grenoble or Lyon).

  29. E Fifield
    January 25, 2017 at 3:45 pm

    Will you still be able to drive a horse and cart in Paris.

    • Pete Barden
      January 25, 2017 at 3:48 pm

      Providing it is a left-hand drive horse… however, I expect there is some form of permit required – there always is.

    • Sylvester LeP
      March 18, 2017 at 10:10 am

      You will have to have the horse’s “emissions” checked I suspect – particularly if it is elderly

  30. David Trafford
    January 25, 2017 at 7:54 am

    What happens with my son’s classic (26? Year old) VW camper van?

    • David Trafford
      January 25, 2017 at 7:59 am

      Typical French beaureaocracy.British plates tell you the date of registration but that’s not enough control for a socialist state.It why we need Brexit to escape from these control freaks.

      • Barry Walker
        January 27, 2017 at 11:05 am

        Hi David

        The registration plate do have loop holes such as cherished plates and Northern Irish Plates.
        Rules in London’s LEZ are even more restrictive and costly, us heavy oil burners days are numbered it seems in our own country, if you take notice of political speak that is.

    • Barry Walker
      January 27, 2017 at 11:02 am

      Hi David
      It will not be allowed, similar to the London LEZ.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *