New T-Charge coming for London drivers…and it will be on top of the current congestion charge

In a bid to further crackdown on London’s worsening air quality, a new Emission Surcharge is coming into force on October 23, 2017. This charge will be in addition to the current Congestion Charge and will see non-conforming vehicle owners paying out £21.50 a day to drive in central London.

Pass one of these and it's time to pay

London Congestion Charge

What is the T-Charge?

Also referred to as the toxicity charge, the T-Charge will be introduced from October 23, 2017, adding an additional £10 Emission Surcharge to the current Congestion Charge for non-compliant vehicles.

The fee is designed to reduce the number of higher-polluting cars driving in Central London to help improve the capital’s air quality.

Where does the T-Charge apply?

The T-Charge applies to any non-compliant vehicle that drives in the existing Congestion Zone, which covers Central London inside the city’s inner ring road, capturing the City and West End.

What vehicles will be affected?

The new T-Charge will affect cars, vans, minibuses, buses, coaches and heavy goods vehicles (HGVs) that do not meet the minimum Euro emission standards subject to the new charge.

The minimum emissions standards are Euro 4 vehicles.

You can use the Transport for London site to see if your motor will be affected by the new Emissions Surcharge. 

Where are the London Congestion Zone cameras?

What times will vehicles be affected?

The charges apply Monday to Friday 07:00 – 18:00.

There is no charge on weekends, public holidays and between Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. Charges do not apply between 18:00 and 07:00 on weekdays.

How do I pay the T-Charge?

The T-Charge will use the same payment and system as the current Congestion Charge. From October 23, Transport for London will identify whether a vehicle will have to pay the new charge and if so, the driver will pay for both the Congestion Charge and T-Charge in the same transaction.

You can pay using the Auto Pay system, online or by phone. If you’re paying by phone or online, you can either do this in advance, up to 90 days, or pay by midnight the following charging day.

What happens if I don’t pay the T-Charge?

A Penalty Charge Notice of £135 will be issued to those that fail to pay the congestion charges on time, but can be reduced to £65 if paid within 14 days. 

Do I get a discount on the T-Charge if I live in the Congestion Zone? 

If you live within the Congestion Zone and use a vehicle that doesn’t meet the emission requirements to avoid the T-Charge,you can receive a 90 per cent discount.

For those already registered for the Congestion Charge Residents’ Discount, the discount for the T-Charge will be automatically applied, equating to £2.05 a day – £1 for the T-Charge and £1.05 for the Congestion Charge during active hours.

How will I know if i’m entering the Congestion Zone?

There are signs to warn you that you are entering the Congestion Charge Zone and automatic number plate recognition (ANPR) cameras will be able able to keep tabs on your vehicle, so you won’t be able to avoid paying.

Are you trying to pay the Dart Charge?

Make sure you don’t accidentally pay the London Congestion Charge instead of the Dartford Crossing charge – the red Congestion Charge sign is the same for both, but payment won’t count for the Dartford Crossing. Find out how to pay and what to do if you forget, here. 

MOST READ IN MOTORING

Can motorway traffic officers give me a ticket

Motorway breakdown; what should I do?

I’ve been flashed, will I get a speeding ticket? 

Secret signs that’ll help bypass motorway jams

Six ways letting an ambulance by could get you a fine

MOT loophole could see you hit with a £2,500 fine

Speed camera myths – are they true or false?

This 10-second licence check could save you £1,000

Help – I have forgotten to pay the Dartford toll

Mobile speed traps – will there be warnings signs?

So this is why all car tyres have to be black

Are your eyes about to lose you your licence?

Will these medical conditions stop you from driving?

Never forget your MOT again with this free reminder service

Remove expired penalty points from your driving licence

Don’t get caught out by the Dartford Crossing

What are the categories on your driving licence? 

Can speed watch volunteers give drivers a ticket?

Use buttons below to share this with family and friends

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *