Ban on smoking with kids in cars is now in force: All you need to know

Smoking ban is now live ... read on to get the facts - not a ticket

Smoking ban is now live … read on to get the facts – not a ticket

Heading to the airport? Don’t forget from October 1, 2015, it became illegal to smoke in a car with someone under 18. 

A survey by Allianz Insurance has revealed more than a third of drivers aren’t aware of the new law, so swerve a fine by reading our essential guide here.

Here are the facts you’ll need to ensure you’re always on the right side of the law…

Here’s the information you need…

From convertibles to e-cigarettes, we’ve got all the info you need.

What is the law
From October 1, 2015, it become illegal to smoke in cars carrying anyone under 18.

Where does the new law apply
The new law applies to all drivers in England and Wales – Scotland will follow suit.

Is it just the driver who can’t smoke
No. Anyone who is in the car with someone under the age of 18 will break the law by smoking. However, the driver will also be fined even if it’s just a passenger smoking.

Does the law apply to drivers who are under 18
Yes.

Can I smoke when alone in my car

Yes. If the driver is under 18 and alone in their own car they are allowed to smoke. The same applies to lone drivers who are over 18.

What is the penalty
Both the driver and the smoker could be fined £50.

Why is the ban being introduced
Medical research shows secondhand smoke can put youngster at risk of serious conditions including meningitis, cancer, bronchitis and pneumonia. It can also make asthma worse.

What about convertible cars
If the roof is fully down, the occupants will be allowed to smoke – even if under 18s are in the car.

Can I smoke in my motorhome while out with under 18s
The rules apply to motorhomes, campervans and caravans when they are being used as a vehicle but don’t apply when they are being used as living accommodation.

Is it illegal to ‘smoke’ e-cigarettes in cars with under 18s
No. The new rules don’t apply to e-cigarettes.

When does the new law come into effect
It came into force on October 1, 2015.

Do you agree with the ban?

Keeping kids away from secondhand smoke is obviously the right thing to do, but is the ban a case of the ‘nanny state’ going too far? Tell us your views here…

Stub out for safer driving
It’s not just kids’ health that could get a boost from the in-car smoking ban; safety experts also claim that lighting a cigarette is more distracting than talking on a mobile phone.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+PinterestTumblrLinkedInMySpaceEmail

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *